Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My New Potting Shelf

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 9b (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 10:01

I'm very proud of my hubby! He did a great job! We purchased a home with a big deck over a lower driveway. We repaired the deck first. The septic is under the bricks that you see in the photos.

In remodeling the house, we replaced all the oak doors, some were solid, some not. He used two of those doors with some concrete bricks to construct a sturdy shelf below, and a work top above. He inserted a sink we had left from his mom's remodel, and purchased a new faucet and spray hose.

Apologies for the mess. The faucet works. It drains outside into a bucket for recycling in our Drought conditions. Took him a while and many leaks to get the PVC from the water source up and over the top of the deck and into the faucet.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here is the side view. You can see the steps coming down to the deck. We have more of those doors so additional shelving will be coming in the future. No sinks though!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This doesn't work as a greenhouse. Too shady, but it's sure nice to pot and create in this place! If you have suggestions for improvement, I'd love to hear them!

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My New Potting Shelf

Wow, that looks like a great work space. Not only for potting plants, but for doing other work as well. I'm jealous of the big open area under shade. You could refinish furniture or do all kinds of cool projects there.

DH built a similar sink set up (much smaller) in our little greenhouse. The water just goes into the gravel under the sink. In our drought-stricken, dusty climate it has worked perfectly. I'm sure you'll love having water there.

Those stairs look very mysterious and inviting. Makes me want to wander up there...

o

mudhouse, the mysterious stairs are built into and around that big boulder you see. They end on a deck with a door directly across into the house.

If you turn right, you walk on the deck then go up concrete steps to the top of the big boulder where we have planted a couple fig trees (in gopher wire baskets), next to a concrete patio.

If you turn left, you can go up 3 steps to the top of the deck that the potting shelf is under. The deck gets a lot of shade from a huge tree and it has a city and agriculture view.

Bummer! I took all the mystery away!

Thanks for your nice comments. I know the water is the best thing about that bench!
Suzi

o

Ooooh, see, I knew my instincts were right. How cool to have the stairs wrap around a giant boulder!

Just noticed the overhead lights too. Officially jealous to have such a good outdoor workspace. I'd be out there in the evenings too. I always have too many pots, so I'd probably try to score some kind of tall shelf unit at a thrift store to have lots of pots storage.

You could use more doors to build another counter area, and leave space underneath for Rubbermaid type bins. That's what I use under my potting bench to keep my soil mix. You could also use undercounter space for things like bags of perlite (or whatever you keep on hand for potting mix.)

Yup, definitely officially jealous.

o

mudhouse, we are definitely going to make more counter space with extra doors. That's a great idea to keep potting mix in the rubbermaid type bins. We do have perlite stored on the other side of the space, and I use a lot of that stuff!

Thanks!

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here