Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Considering a greenhouse in the basement

Posted by pbl_ge 5/6 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 12:20

Hi All,

We recently moved to the snowy north for the first time in my life, and we're trying to figure out ways to extend the growing season. One of the things we're considering is building some kind of greenhouse in the basement. Can anyone recommend good how-to resources for this? I see all kinds of websites, but I can't distinguish the crackpot from the genius.

Our initial ideas are fairly uneducated, but we're thinking of something on the large side, perhaps 6' x 8' with space for bringing in big pots as well as shelving for starts.

Any help to get us started planning is appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Considering a greenhouse in the basement

I see no one else has responded so I'll put in my two cents worth and that is probably it's total value!

I would think that setting up good lighting would be the most important factor. You already have the other climate controls being indoors so just providing faux sunlight would be optimum.

o
RE: Considering a greenhouse in the basement

I think that it's a good idea for starting some plants early. I think you will need lots of strong grow lights of different spectrums, unless you have enough natural light for it. If I were going to grow indoors with fake light I would make the walls reflective.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here