Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greenhouse Shelving

Posted by beth1 z8LA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 06 at 14:52

I finally have my first greenhouse... actually it was built onto the back of an existing shed & is approximately a 10 x 12. I would love to hear from those of you who have constructed your own shelving units. I think I'd prefer something with wire shelving so that I can have several layers of shelves & still have the light get through to the shelf underneath. It will be primarily used for propagating from seeds, cuttings, etc. My husband's thought was to use cattle guard. Any ideas & suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Beth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greenhouse Shelving

I, too, have just finished my first greenhouse and am trying to figure out shelving, too. I'm thinking about using this shelving I saw at Lowes that they use in closets. It's vinyl coated and looks pretty sturdy.

Here is a link that might be useful: ClosetMaid Close Mesh Shelving

o

schwing, I do like the looks of the shelving. I read somewhere (don't remember where at the moment)online today where someone had used the closet shelving but stated that it needed reinforcing about every two feet since it wouldn't be strong enough without it once you get the weight of your pots, flats, etc. on it. But we I believe the cattle fencing may work since it is made from heavy weight wire... we made a fence out of it around my herb garden.

Sure would appreciate a lot of more input though. ;o)

o

We happened to have a large amount of 2x2" deck railings and used these to make shelving. We bought folding table legs, built a rectangular frame to go on them and lined the top with the 2x2's, spaced out every few inches. They are very sturdy, drain well and are easy to clean with a spray of the hose. I can also fold the tables up and cart outside easily to clean the greenhouse or use the tables for my plant sales.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenhouse Shelves

o

Wyndyacre, very nice shelving and I love your greenhouse. That's a clever idea though to make duel purpose of your tables for plant shows, etc. I'll have to remember this! ;o)

I would like to have a more permanent shelving in my greenhouse since it will be used strictly for propagating purposes and not that big either... I definitely want to go with at least two shelves to make the most of the space that I have.

o

That closet maid shelving looks way too weak. Galvanised pool fence is pretty good (the stuff with the loop at top and bottom).

Plastic coated metal also tends to rust easily - all it takes is a ding from spade or a scratch from a pot and the metal will rust underneath the plastic. You would be better off with gal.

o

You may have noticed in my picture, that there is a 2rd shelf above the tables. It is made out of exactly the kind of closet shelving Schwing is talking about. We hung it from the rafters by hanging two 12' long pipes, parallel to one another, from medium gauge, stainless steel cable and then laying the shelving on top. It is perfectly supported and holds a lot of weight. It is often fully loaded with flats of plants and in fact right now is loaded down with all my cactuses and succulents which are in heavy clay pots.
You do need some way to attach the cable to your roof though. Since I have wooden rafters, I have no problem hanging things but I'm aware some of you do not.
It has stood up to usage very well-not one bit of rust or any nicks yet after 4 years of use.
I don't think I would want to make ALL my shelving out of it-it just wasn't big enough-but it worked great as a second layer of shelving over my tables.

o

• Posted by rhay z5 Colorado (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 28, 06 at 22:00

I had my husband build me some out of some leftover red wood (from an old deck) and some hardware cloth. The hardware cloth lets the light and water through but it still strong enough the support the weight of the pots etc. However, it does need to be reinforced every 12-18". I attached it with a staple gun. No problems with rust either.

o

wyndyacre: yep, so you supported it - the pipe is a good idea. I was under the impression that the shelving was intended to be supported only at the ends. I think greenhouse conditions are a lot more corrosive than a sun room (with misters and condensations and more sun).

o

I did some more looking around on the Internet and went to Charlies Greenhouse Supplies... they have some nice looking benches that are wood framed but the top looks like the wire closet shelving - it really looks nice. Shouldn't be too hard to make.

Here is a link that might be useful: Charley's Greenhouse Bench

o

I use some chrome wire industrial shelving that I got at Sam's Club for a about $80. Instead of having it six feet tall I configure it as two, three foot tall shelves with three shelves each. I do not install the casters but use the solid feet that come with it. Each shelf will hold 600lb each. They are 2X4' which fits four flats on each shelf perfectly. I have had them for two years now and have no complaints. I am actually going to get one more (which means two sets of three shelvses) later this month.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sam's Club Shelving

o

I did a search here by typing in shelving cause someone a few months back posted a good site with decent prices. Here it is. Check it out. Might not be what u want but is a good deal.

Here is a link that might be useful: plant shelves

o
RE: Greenhouse Shelving Whoops

Sorry. I just checked it out again. Can only buy direct from the store. Sorry.

o

• Posted by earl SW Ohio 5-6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 4, 06 at 18:34

I just bought 2 pieces of 16" by 8' at Lowes. I'll attach 4' pieces of 2" by 4" to two 2" by 6" bases, three 2by4s each side. Then attache 2 by 2 inch boards at the top, with one 8 foot 2by2 running down the center with a cross brace from center two 2by4s. Top of frame will measure 34" by 8'. This will allow me to plant in the soil under frame. This will allow me use a third piece of shelving [16"by8'], attach it with [loose] staples to the 2by4s [so it will swing up] and the inner side of selving can be held up with chain hanging down from the center 2"by2".

Was that explaination confusing? :-) I'll post a pic when I finish it.

o

"Was that explaination confusing? :-) I'll post a pic when I finish it."

LOL... Earl, I am very interested in your shelving. Please do post a pic when you're done for all to see.

Blessings,
Beth

o

• Posted by alia z5 NW PA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 4, 06 at 22:31

Target has modular wire shelving units in white, silver, and black that holds 200 pounds on each shelf, which, by the way, exactly fit a standard flat. I got a bunch of the white, 30" 3-shelvers for $12 each. Deal!

Alia

o

I do not post very often on here anymore but sometimes I cannot resist the urge!!!

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=168602

""Chrome steel industrial shelving features six adjustable triple-truss wire shelves for convenient storage. Unit measures 72"H x 48"W x 18"D. Shelving unit features 3" commercial castor wheels with two wheels that lock for safety. Height adjustable non-rolling/stationary feet included, allows shelving to hold up to 600 lbs. per shelf. Includes six plastic shelf inlays for more versatility, grey in color. NSF rated for food safety.""

Ummm... 6 shelves, each rated for 600lbs....

Yup, stack them shelves to the limit and you got yourself one point six tons of stuff you can wheel around on those "3 inch commercial castor wheels"

I cannot really see that happening can you?

Now back to reality. Thanks themaniam1 for posting that link as it is FINALLY a cheap shelving unit for people using lights. Other cheap shelving systems are at max 36 inch wide and 14-16 inch deep.

The unit you showed us can accomodate 4ft lights and fit 4 trays per shelf.

(thinking.... 288 type plug trays times four per shelf times five shelves (yep 5, how ya going to hang the light above the top shelf!) is 5760 seedlings.

Going to visit "Sam" tomorrow.... thanks!

o

I used the closet shelving supported by concrete blocks spaced every 5-6 feet. I set the extremely heavy pots on the blocks for better support, and the lighter weight pots in between. It has worked very well. Some of my shelves are 12' long, stretching to over 30' on the south side of my greenhouse. I also have a second stretch of the shelving setting lower in front of the back row, and have plants setting in the pea gravel under both rows of shelving too. The two rows of shelving hold a whole lot of plants. I was able to pick this shelving up for $1 - $5 a shelf, so it was a wonderful deal and has worked out very well for me. I have found it to be plenty sturdy when being supported by the concrete blocks as "legs".

On the north side of the greenhouse I have again used some of this closet shelving supported by my water containers. Again, I set the largest, heaviest pots on the water containers, and the lighter weight pots in between. I also have plants sitting on the pea gravel under the shelves, which receive plenty of light. I also used three of these chrome shelving units from Lowes on the north side. They were about $70 each but hold approximately 50 of my small pots on each unit. They look very nice but for the cost, I love my closet shelving.

Here is a link that might be useful: chrome units from Lowes

o

I have a wire shelving unit like the above (mine was the Seville from Costco) that I use indoors as a grow light cart. My father the engineer was very impressed with how sturdy it was - said you could probably park a car on top if you could get it to fit. It does roll when full of stuff, but I have to roll it carefully since it's on carpeting.

o

chris_in_iowa, I couldn't see putting that much on them either lol! I did have about 300lb shelf and it did hold up fine but I did not have the casters installed and was only three shelves a total of three feet tall. Some insulation board then heat mat and four flats on top of that per shelf works great. If I could ever figure out how to post a pic I will show you how I have them setup.

o

Got the Sam Special.

Oh boy is that an undersold and well kept secret.

Eighty bucks? They really got the price wrong. If they sold it as a "Growing under lights base unit" it would be $400.

Side note, DO NOT try to pick up the box that cheap shelf unit comes in by yourself!!!!!!

Them that got one knows what I mean!

o

I also have the Sams Shelving. Works great for flats just the right size, and not as flimsy as a lot of the other shelves I looked at.
Chris you are right it is a handful for one person.

o

I also purchased the Sam's shelving last week, 2 of them.
and you are right do not go alone they are heavy! I looked at them for 2 weeks and pondered. My husband finally put his foot down and insisted I go down and get them . Well I went alone! Thank heavens for the flat bed carts I was able to roll them right off the shelve onto it. Once outside that was another story! A nice man did help get them into the truck. whew! My wrist is still sore from that trip.
Well worth it! I love the shelving and highly recommend it!

o

Here are few pictures of the Sam's shelves that I have added lights to. Holds 20 flats under light and four more on the top shelve starting. All for under $150.
Now if will stop raining long enough so I can get my greenhouse done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sam's shelving with lights

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here