Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making a Metal Arbor...Help Please?

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 06 at 15:30

I'd like to have my husband make me a metal arbor really soon. Does anyone have any experince doing this and helpful suggestions? (design tips)?
Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making a Metal Arbor...Help Please?

Does he know how to weld?

o

Assuming he knows how to weld, this is 2 20-foot rebar pieces bent into arches, with pig fencing welded in between.

Image hosting by Photobucket

o

Cottage those are really preaty... other then Morning glories what is the yellow flower?

o

They're http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunflower aren't they?

o

Gotta----

You've done it again!!!! Stunning. How do you bend the rebar. My DH made one for me this Fall so we only have baby vines on it.
It's made from copper pipes and connections and glue. I love the design but I also love the softness of your arch.

Here are the bare bones for Gardenlady so you can see it as is. Hopefully by next summer it'll be sportin' a new look.

georgeanne (new here)

P.S. It's at the opening to an old-fashioned garden maze (I hope) that's only 3 years old.

o

Wow! Georgeanne...that is just beautiful! Thanks for sharing. How long did it take to make that, and how expensive was it? :-)

o

Georgeanne, that is wonderful!! DH better watch out cause I'm getting ideas! I love the look of copper and it ages so gracefully too. Just beautiful!

The yellow flowers are sunflowers. The morning glories and flowers are annuals, so you can get an impressive show quickly.

The rebar can be bent with a pipe bender. We originally bought it for bending conduit for exterior wiring. Here's one for sale on ebay, currently $1.
http://cgi.ebay.com/IDEAL-PIPE-BENDER-CONDUIT-3-4-1-74-003-RIGID-PLUMBER_W0QQitemZ7594970281QQcategoryZ104220QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

o
Copper arbor

DH made it as a surprise for me. He saw it on Rebecca's Garden. Once he got the measuring done it took about 2 evenings. Big however!!!!! I think it cost about 90 to 100 dollars. OUCH!! Copper is expensive and he used bigger pipe. Also it might be hard for some vines to grab a smooth surface so I tied my baby vines to it to get'm started. The next one might be rebar.

Still....I love the look.

georgeanne

o

On hypertufa they talk about bending rebar and go into nice detail:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hypertufa/msg0217042520800.html?23

Here is a link that might be useful: rebar bending

o

georgeanne,
How wide is your copper arbor?

o

Gardenlady-- sorry I'm so late with the response.
I had to invade DH's workshop to find his worksheet.(scary)

The width of the copper sides is 39 1/4 inches. The arbor walk through is 5 ft. and it's 8 ft. high. He said he started in the middle and worked his way out, that way any mistake he made would just even out with the side bars.

Some gals that saw it from cottage garden forum think we should put stained glass in the middle. Wouldn't that be gorgeous??? hhhhhmmmmmmmm.

Love to see what you folks are workin' on.
georgeanne

o

Gottagarden, I had no idea that Morning Glories would look that gorgeous on an arbor...Wow.
They just 'go' with Sunflowers. I planted them for years, but this year I decided not to, and planted other vines...but,now I miss them...unlike some say they are, mine were never invasive here.

o

Hi
Have made several from PVC water pipe. A 15x5x8 feet high cost 12 bucks .I find it's not much yse getting to fancy as within two years you can't see it anyway .
With figuring it's possible to have curves depending on the diameter .You can also use heat for shaper curves but for get circles,lol Another advantage to it is you can run water through it with either sprinklers or seep holes.
Another great material is post and beams for PVC fencing.
Had some that had been underground for almost 15 years !!
A little bleach and it returned to sparkling white,
Was amazed gary

o

Both the copper and rebar arbors are beautiful!

o

yes, they are beautiful. I've never seen such wonderful morning glories either. Just fabulous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here