Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlady48_gw

Making a Metal Arbor...Help Please?

gardenlady48
18 years ago

I'd like to have my husband make me a metal arbor really soon. Does anyone have any experince doing this and helpful suggestions? (design tips)?

Thanks in advance

Comments (15)

• mylu
    18 years ago

Does he know how to weld?

• mylu
    18 years ago

Cottage those are really preaty... other then Morning glories what is the yellow flower?

• nathanhurst
    18 years ago
  • georich5
    18 years ago

Gotta----

You've done it again!!!! Stunning. How do you bend the rebar. My DH made one for me this Fall so we only have baby vines on it.
    It's made from copper pipes and connections and glue. I love the design but I also love the softness of your arch.

Here are the bare bones for Gardenlady so you can see it as is. Hopefully by next summer it'll be sportin' a new look.

georgeanne (new here)

{{gwi:290075}}
    {{gwi:290077}}
    {{gwi:290079}}
    P.S. It's at the opening to an old-fashioned garden maze (I hope) that's only 3 years old.

• gardenlady48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow! Georgeanne...that is just beautiful! Thanks for sharing. How long did it take to make that, and how expensive was it? :-)

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

Georgeanne, that is wonderful!! DH better watch out cause I'm getting ideas! I love the look of copper and it ages so gracefully too. Just beautiful!

The yellow flowers are sunflowers. The morning glories and flowers are annuals, so you can get an impressive show quickly.

The rebar can be bent with a pipe bender. We originally bought it for bending conduit for exterior wiring. Here's one for sale on ebay, currently $1.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/IDEAL-PIPE-BENDER-CONDUIT-3-4-1-74-003-RIGID-PLUMBER_W0QQitemZ7594970281QQcategoryZ104220QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• georich5
    18 years ago

DH made it as a surprise for me. He saw it on Rebecca's Garden. Once he got the measuring done it took about 2 evenings. Big however!!!!! I think it cost about 90 to 100 dollars. OUCH!! Copper is expensive and he used bigger pipe. Also it might be hard for some vines to grab a smooth surface so I tied my baby vines to it to get'm started. The next one might be rebar.

Still....I love the look.

georgeanne

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

On hypertufa they talk about bending rebar and go into nice detail:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hypertufa/msg0217042520800.html?23

Here is a link that might be useful: rebar bending

• gardenlady48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

georgeanne,
    How wide is your copper arbor?

• georich5
    18 years ago

Gardenlady-- sorry I'm so late with the response.
    I had to invade DH's workshop to find his worksheet.(scary)

The width of the copper sides is 39 1/4 inches. The arbor walk through is 5 ft. and it's 8 ft. high. He said he started in the middle and worked his way out, that way any mistake he made would just even out with the side bars.

Some gals that saw it from cottage garden forum think we should put stained glass in the middle. Wouldn't that be gorgeous??? hhhhhmmmmmmmm.

Love to see what you folks are workin' on.
    georgeanne

• ashli
    16 years ago

Gottagarden, I had no idea that Morning Glories would look that gorgeous on an arbor...Wow.
    They just 'go' with Sunflowers. I planted them for years, but this year I decided not to, and planted other vines...but,now I miss them...unlike some say they are, mine were never invasive here.

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    Have made several from PVC water pipe. A 15x5x8 feet high cost 12 bucks .I find it's not much yse getting to fancy as within two years you can't see it anyway .
    With figuring it's possible to have curves depending on the diameter .You can also use heat for shaper curves but for get circles,lol Another advantage to it is you can run water through it with either sprinklers or seep holes.
    Another great material is post and beams for PVC fencing.
    Had some that had been underground for almost 15 years !!
    A little bleach and it returned to sparkling white,
    Was amazed gary

• bogie
    16 years ago

Both the copper and rebar arbors are beautiful!

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

yes, they are beautiful. I've never seen such wonderful morning glories either. Just fabulous.