Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conifers_gw

My Fun Place

conifers
16 years ago

'The Elite Attached' 16 Foot From Farmtek (2008):

{{gwi:290276}}

South of the greenhouse and my new virgin 6 acres - sloped like a bowl. Norway Maple & Poplar grove with wet/dry stream. This one looks as good as Ansal Adams (or whatever his name is or her).

{{gwi:290277}}

The Grafts, the fun place grafts:

Pins contorta 'Chief Joseph' which begins turning golden as the fall weather continues becoming colder. Great selection:

{{gwi:290278}}

A golden dwarf Norway Spruce graft (All Spruce are compatible when grafting, the entire "Genus" / "Picea")

Picea abies 'Kornell's Dwarf Yellow' - looks promising!

{{gwi:290279}}

A Korean Pine (Pinus koraiensis) grafted to a White Pine seedling (Pinus strobus). All these pines that have needles in groups/fasciles of (5) are compatible. Needles are soft too. Pinus koraiensis 'Anna':

{{gwi:290280}}

A dead understock... This graft is now toast:

{{gwi:290281}}

Seeds germinating and Seedlings in Flats: Larix mastersiana (Master's Larch) and Picea abies (Norway Spruce):

{{gwi:290282}}

This summer's Japanese Maple understock I potted up over the weekend that will be ready for grafting during Mid-August which is optimum grafting time, plus (10) 'Shawnee Brave' / 'Mickelson' Bald Cypress & 25 Taxodium distichum seedlings (Taxodium distichum = Bald Cypress) and since I just potted these Shawnee's up and had (9) Bald Cypress understocks ready for scions, I grafted (9) more 'Shawnee Brave' yesterday. (This is a pantented plant fyi but I'm not selling them). I received dormant trees so that made it so I could graft to my non-dormant seedling understocks. In 6-8 weeks if the graft is successful, the scion will begin growing:

{{gwi:290283}}

A Ginkgo graft (notice the seedling is growing leaves) - the scion I attached was dormant (right out of a cold environment/right off the shrub and grafted right away or asap (fresh wood is always better as is collected above freezing temperature as is wood collected early in the morning on overcast days).

{{gwi:290284}}

Some Arborvitae cuttings (4 parts perlite to 1 peat moss) A rooting hormone and on heat mats. Watch for rotters or black stems. These need a mist system or a tenting chamber or some means (mechanical misting with hose or spray bottle) to keep them humid or from drying up.

I use a fungicide-algaecide every two weeks.

{{gwi:290285}}

White Poly now keeps bright sunlight from overheating my prophouse:

{{gwi:290286}}

Take care, grow it,

Dax

Comments (15)

• User
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That looks great, Dax.

Congratulations on your new setup. If you every get an urge for some tropicals, maybe we can arrange a Musa for Taxodium trade!

SB

• orchiddude
    16 years ago

That looks great.

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Dax,
    I am so envious of your trees. I am gonna try a pine tree I have growing in my yard. I have to research first... Your Pictures are great...... Have a great evening Barb

• conifers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'll get my jammin' drum out and roll with the rhythms.

Peace harmony and all that "good stuff."

Dax

• mudhouse_gw
    16 years ago

Great pictures and info Dax. I doubt grafting conifers is in my future, but it's really interesting to see how it works. I know gardeners are usually patient and optimistic by nature, but boy, it seems like you'd really have to be patient to grow conifers from seed. Wouldn't it be great if you could live a few hundred years to see the huge trees you've helped to exist? That must be a wonderful thing to think about at the end of a long day of greenhouse work.
    Happy growing!
    Sheri

• rjinga
    16 years ago

When I saw that first picture....I said OHHHHH, I want one like that....how convenient and it looks great too. GH envy :)

• conifers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Very rewarding. Like you guys who bask in your greenhouse's tinkering around for hours, often staring at your plants, that's exactly what I do too. Greenhouses definitely bring that green we are searching for, that growing green, and it's fun which is number one. I just happen to have my fun knowing my patience is just like anyone else's. I can however get almost as much joy out of growing anything.

Cheers to seeds and the things they produce that we grow or propagate...!!

Dax

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    16 years ago

Dax,

Great project!

Looks like you are running out of room.

dcarch

• conifers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi rjinga, you got style I see that plainly. You'll go ooooooooo that's hot baby if you were to purchase one your yourself. I'm on another level with this. Automatic vents and everything on thermostats and timers, it's sweet.

I'm actually home from the store with enough benches to add two more levels on the front and I bought myself a new weather station in case I need to be alerted of power outages and it shows humidity levels too. I'm stoked.

Later,

Dax

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

I have a feeling you'll soon be surrounded by a conifer forest out your back door. :-)

• wolflover
    16 years ago

Dax,
    I love your new greenhouse. Great pictures! That 'Kornell's Dwarf Yellow' is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
    Dawna

• conifers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks greenhouser, wolflover. I want to be surrounded by conifers, huge ones and little ones. Now I can do it.

It's time for me to do several things and one is to re-arrange my prophouse.

Have a nice day,

Dax

• conifers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm dialed temporarily. I started removing benches and found a space running 1/3 the length of the greenhouse allowing for exposed air to stream on in. I sealed it while I moved along though so that might help immensely. I used spray foam sealant. The crack averaged more than an inch in the dead nuts middle. Makes me realize why this was the iciest spot!

All seedlings from here. Take care guys, Dax

{{gwi:290287}}

{{gwi:290288}}

2 more rows:
    {{gwi:290289}}

• ladylotus
    16 years ago

Dax,

Your set up is fantastic. I have a large grafting setup in the basement and can't wait to begin using my greenhouse. What an awesome greenhouse set up.

Tj

• conifers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So kind!

Dax

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH