Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat lamps

Posted by stanc 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 10, 07 at 17:51

Has someone tried using heat lamps for their greenhouse or cold frames.
I thought of that at Home Depot today.
I am not sure what the life span or the cost of using them is.

thanks
StanC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat lamps

There would be several problems with using infra red heating lamps in a greenhouse. With the moisture present, the hot bulb could explode. Even the small units, 250-375 watts, have warnings to keep them at least 18 inches from any surface. And ,since most small, 120 volt lamps are only available in 250-375 watts, you would need several to heat even a small greenhouse in a warm location. They would probably be even worse to use in an even smaller cold frame.

o

With the moisture present, the hot bulb could explode.

Heat lamps, being designed for use in bathrooms, are required by law to withstand spray induced thermal shock. Mine explicitly state that they have been tested with 4C water after operating for some time. Otherwise I agree 100% - they would also be wasteful as a lot of heat would leak out in the form of light.

Probably not worth it.

o

nathanhurst,
Glad you agree 100% (minus moisture). My info on the water comes from the manufacturers warning statement on at least one ir lamp unit, link attached.

Here is a link that might be useful: uv lamp warning

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here