Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerwantabe

A must read for prospective buyers of HFGH

gardenerwantabe
18 years ago

I took the time today to work on my greenhouse and got the wall stud's on and started putting the horizontal bracing on and that is when I found out that the longer bolts that they supplied for that are to short. This is just another of many screw ups that I have found

Now I will have to remove the wall stud's go get longer bolts that will slide into the slot in the back of the wall studs and then put it all back together again.

If you have one or are thinking about buying one don't follow the directions use longer bolts instead of the longer ones that they sent. This is what they call part#66.

Comments (12)

• agardenstateof_mind
    18 years ago

Gardenerwantabe, I've been following your posts regarding your new 10x12 HFGH and am truly sorry to see you're having so much trouble with it - certainly a big disappointment for many, you especially, particularly in light of the good reviews that the 6x8 has received. It's fortunate that you have the skill and tools to make it work, despite itself ... I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to seeing and hearing how this project progresses.

It is important to note, however, that these problems are with the new, 10x12 model. Of all the posts relating to the 6x8 model, I don't recall any that reported such problems with that model. We were quite surprised at how well the 6x8 went together, as well as how sturdy it seems to be.

I just wanted to clarify, since it would be a shame if people shied away from the 6x8 model because of problems with the 10x12. It's hard to measure the use, learning and pleasure I and my family have derived from this little greenhouse this winter. BTW, it stood up to the Nor'easter that blew through the northeast this past weekend without flinching.

Diane

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Diane
    Yes it has been disappointing and I should have made it clear that I'm talking about the model 93358 10x12
    I think it is probably built by a different manufacture than the 6x8.
    Harbor Freight is just the importer and they can buy from whoever gives them the best price.
    I will be going to town today to try to find the bolts that I need and some stud connectors they shorted me on them also.
    When I talked to HF about this missing parts they said they had to get them from overseas and it would take several weeks. When I told him I wanted them sooner he said they could take the parts from a GH that they had in stock. I think that may be my problem I got one that they have robbed parts from because the conner posts were wrong so many pieces either wrong or missing I just can't believe how anything could be so screwed up.
    You are right I will make it work but wanted to save others from putting the studs on only to find out that they have to remove them and replace the bolts with longer ones like I will have to do. The bolts being the wrong length just shows how bad things are from this manufacture.
    Their is no excuse for this a moron would have known the bolts that they choose to use were wrong.

• aberwacky_ar7b
    18 years ago

Thanks for all your information about this greenhouse. Mine is on the way. We're quite handy, have a lot of tools, etc. and feel like we can put it together (whatever we have to modify to make it work) but knowing ahead of time that there will be a problem helps.

Leigh

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Aberwacky
    When I talked to them about the conner post being wrong they said others had complained about that and they were working on that.
    I drilled holes in mine and then they would fit.
    Their are right and Left but mine were all the same yours probably will be wrong also.
    The manual says use bolt 66 in the wall stud's were part 30 goes on those bolts are too short don't put it together with those bolts. I went to fastenal and got 6mm X 1 1/2" to replace the ons that are too short.

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Also beware of the rear base plate part 5 and 6 the manual shows you put 5 then 6 but they won't bolt together that way the holes don't line up so when i found that the holes lined up if I put on 6 then 5 I did it that way thinking that the manual was wrong.
    Since so much in the manual is wrong you start ignoring it. But this time the mistake was in the holes. When I found that the rear wall studs would not line up with the holes I removed the base plate turned it so that it was like the manual said and drilled new holes. I used the hole in 6 as a template to drill hole in 5 then every thing went together OK. They just drilled the holes backasswards from what they should have been.
    If anyone who plans on building one of these takes the time to read all the posts that I have made on this they can save themselves a lot of grief. It would not have taken long to build this thing if someone had told me what part of the manual was wrong what was right and what parts need to be changed but I had to figure that out for myself.
    I can tell you that calling HF tech is a waste of time they have never seen one and will only tell you what the manual says. Don't waste your time with them

• blondboy47
    18 years ago

gardenwantabe:

What's the chances that you could "re-work" the manual (adding the corrections and adive) and post it to something like Photobucket for new buyers to print out? :)

Just a thought.

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

If you make the changes that I have posted you should be fine. At this point we don't know if all of them have the same mistakes but after a few have been built and people report on their problems maybe a pattern will develop.
    The sad thing is that when I tried to tell HF about the problems they were not interested just said they were not aware of any problems.

• greginshasta
    18 years ago

Hi gardenerwantabe,

My wife Sunny and I have been lurking here for a few weeks. Hello everyone!

I'm curious - is this the only thread where you have posted notes about HFGH assembly instructions versus reality? If not, is there any chance you would summarize the changes you have had to make? I want to make sure I am aware of each of the issues you have already overcome so I don't tear any more hair out of my increasingly balding head.

I've got the base assembed in the driveway and am just in the process of attaching the corner posts. Once I have it assembled, I may do the same as someone else suggested and mount wheels at one end in order to relocate it to the place in the yard where it will live. In the mean time, it's easier to build it next to the garage so I have ready access to tools, power and adult beverages (just in case).

There are NO differences between the 4 posts - they are identical. Did you find that to be the case with your assembly?

Thanks,
    Greg

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yea all four post were the same on mine also. But if you look at the manual it shows 7a and 7b two are rights and two are left. I just re drilled mine and used what I had because parts are not available.
    I have made several posts check out the one that says called harbor freight and you won't believe what they said.
    Now that I have mine built and have made some modifications to strengthen it I think i now have a good GH but had to make a lot of changes. I'm the one who used the wheels. When I posted that I was going to do that some were doubtful that it would work but it worked great.

• puffysmom
    18 years ago

Gardenerwantabe.....R u in a warm zone? I see that some others r putting up their greenhouses and it is making me green with envy. I want so much to be able to have mine up so I can get my orchids in a better place and get some seedlings to start. I am in zone4 so I have a long long wait to go.....Unless we get a early spring. I'm ready for that. :>)

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm in zone 5A north central Indiana and it was snowing here this morning, just flurries but snow nonetheless.
    I built mine in my garage and put wheels on it so that I can move it with my JD tractor.

• blondboy47
    18 years ago

Moving it outside? I guess the little window isn't letting in quite enough light! ;) :D