Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryangrogers

my first greenhouse

ryangrogers
14 years ago

Hi everyone - I've never posted on this forum before, but have spent alot of time gleaning advice from it. I love vegetable gardening, but since moving to an elevation of 7500 feet in Colorado, the short season really limits what you can do. So, I decided to build my own greenhouse - from scratch! Link to photos below

The specs:

-12x16, with a 10 foot roof sloping to the south down to 6 feet

-Solexx 3.5mm glazing on roof, south wall, and upper portions of east/west wall

-Insulated north wall, and lower portions of east/west walls

-Intake/exhaust vents powered by Univent solar wax openers

-1650 CFM exhaust attic fan

-2 In-wall electric heaters (240V, 2000 watts each) with fans

-60 amp subpanel powering overhead lights, GFCI receptacles, exhaust fan and heaters

-frost-free water hydrant, piped in via 3/4" PEX from the house, 3.5 feet deep

-100 gallon water tank for thermal mass (and possibly tilapia raising!)

-raised beds for in-ground planting, with gravel paths (crusher fine/gray breeze)

My plan is to operate it March-October. Though we get plenty of winter sun here, the temperatures drop so much overnight that I feel it would get expensive to heat.

I also plan on growing tomatoes upside-down in 5 gallon buckets hung from the peak of the greenhouse, where it is hottest. Of course, everything will be kinda an experiment this first year, so it should be fun!

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributes on this forum - I learned alot. I'll try to report back how it goes this season...

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenhouse Photo Album

Comments (5)

• gartenmiester
    14 years ago

Caution: Be aware greenhouses are kinda like a disease that spreads- I started with one structure 20 years ago- now we cover 200,000 sq. ft. and ship nationally. Best wishes!

• sunshine_27
    14 years ago

I am also in Colorado - moved here 2 years ago at 8000 feet, and have a an 8x12 Solex greenhouse which I don't heat at night either, although I do have a small heater for use on the occasional cloudy winter day we get. I use my unheated greenhouse nearly yearround - my plants spend the daylight hours in the greenhouse even in winter and then I just bring them into the house or garage (which is heated) for the night. I also have a 4-season sunroom in my home which is heated to use at night for plants. Springtime in my greenhouse starts around mid January - that's when the sun is bright enough to bring my geraniums into bloom when they spend days out there. Your greenhouse looks and sounds great, and with the magic of Colorado sunshine you may just find that you use it for a longer season that you expect! Between my greenhouse and my sunroom (which I just added onto my home last fall), I hope to be able to grow flowers and veggies yearround. Since you've got a fishtank, I was wondering whether you got the idea from the Growing Spaces Growing Dome - I would love one of those - maybe next time.

Dorothy

• ryangrogers
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No, the I found the 100 gallon tank basically free at a garage sale, and figured I'd just throw it in under my workbench for thermal mass. Then it occurred to me that maybe I could raise Tilapia in it? I'd probably have to heat it with some large aquarium heaters, but then the heat just escapes into the greenhouse right? We'll see how that goes...

New question for everyone: I'm realizing now that I did not account for heat/air circulation within the greenhouse (when the vents are closed) and what a temp difference there is between the peak and the ground - I need to pull that heat down somehow. I don't really want to take up valuable roof space (I'm planning on hanging plants) with a large ceiling or even rotating fan for circulation, so my plan is this: Run a couple 6-inch round ducts/PVC pipes along the rafters, from the peak down to the ground on the opposite side (single-sloped roof - see pic link), and install inline duct fans in each to suck the air from the peak down. With each inline fan rated at 160 CFM (320 CFM total), and a greenhouse size of 1536 CF, this should circulate the entire structure in about 5 minutes (in theory). One day I'd like to perhaps dig out my planting beds and install a base of rock/gravel and run the heated air through that to better store heat, but that's not this year...

Questions:

1) Where along the ducts/pipes is the optimal place to install the inline fans? Top (pushing air down), bottom (pulling air down) or middle?

2) I've thought it might be nice to instead of simply having an open end at each duct/pipe that simply draws and exhausts air at a single point, that it might be better to install a perpendicular pipe at each end, that ran the length of the greenhouse, and was drilled with large holes that would more evenly draw and exhaust the air. However, will this create to much airflow "resistance", and dramatically reduce the circulation rate? I suppose I could always up the duct/pipe size and fans to compensate, but you gotta draw a line somewhere...

3) Anyone ever done anything like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenhouse Photos

• terrybull
    14 years ago

i have lower intake fan and higher exhaust fan and both are temp. controlled. i figured how much cubic air space and bought the fans that moved that much air per minute.

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

I would not go with upside down plants - first you are talking about a significant amount of weight; secondly, they will block important light from reaching plants below it; and third, very few people have lots of luck with them - the soil dries quickly or gets too hot, especially in summer.

My GH is also 12x16 but only 8.5' high, sloping to 5.5. I have a total of 1650 watts of electric heaters and as long as the temps stay above 20 degrees or so, my GH stays in the lower 50s or higher. I did buy a used kerosene heater but have only spent about $30 on kerosene this year, and almost all of that has been since early January. Next year, I plan on using it for live growing until mid December then will close most of it off and use just the front to overwinter bananas, coffee, pepper and cotton plants. Simply not enough sun light from mid-December to early March.

You'll love it, though. But unless you will be able to babysit it during the day, be sure to have the heaters and vents operated by a thermostat. I've seen the outside temps be five degrees at 7 am with a GH temp of 55. Four hours later, even after turning off the kerosene heater, it can easily be 105 inside.

Mike