Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burleyman_gw

cedarbuilt greenhouse

burleyman
14 years ago

I am looking to purchase this cedar greenhouse but see no mention of it in this forum.......they are shipped from Canada and appear to have wonderful reviews. A bit pricey perhaps but I was looking for something both functional and beautiful...anyone have any knowledge of these?

Comments (8)

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

burley,

Those are very nice but to rich for my blood. I'm more of a utilitarian cheap skate.

Eric

• oakhill (zone 9A, Calif.)
    14 years ago

Mine is now 6 years old and it is great. Very good quality, shipped well, goes together with only 2 people in 2 days, after the foundation is all in. Helpful staff as well.

• bluebonsai101
    14 years ago

Those are some beautiful GH!! Glad you posted this as it gave me something to look at on a cold, wintry day....someday maybe I can get one. Their new "Green" greenhouses sound like they would be great in a cold environment :o) Dan

• MegaRamsey
    11 years ago

I just ordered this 10x14' greenhouse. I have searched the web for reviews, and what few I find are pretty good but mostly on their own site. I like seeing how they post pictures from the buyers who show how they put their greenhouses up.
    One of the questions I'd like to ask people who have bought one, what type of foundation did you use? I'm thinking of a block foundation with pea stone interior and pavers for the walkway.
    Any advice or tips? Anyone else out there who own one of these? Any input would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedar-Built Greenhouse 10x14

• cole_robbie
    11 years ago

My greenhouse isn't cedar, but for what it's worth, be careful of the pea gravel being round and putting it over a hard surface. If the gravel is round, it will roll under your shoe, and it's ridiculously easy to fall. The cheaper, irregular driveway gravel is what I have. It sticks together and won't roll under your feet as easily. If you put down stone pavers, then you won't need gravel at all.

And if you're going to buy something that nice, invest in the automatic solar-powered openers that open roof vents when it gets too hot. They are surprisingly inexpensive. It is easy to forget to open the vents by hand, and then you cook everything.

The next upgrades I would make are securing it to withstand higher winds. I think it would be best to pour a concrete slab, and then you could attach the entire length of each wall to the concrete, and then it would be as strong as a house in a storm. Concrete is actually cheaper than pavers anyway.

• oakhill (zone 9A, Calif.)
    11 years ago

The instructions they send for the foundation calls for 4 X 6 in. pressure treated wood, and 3 yards of 3/4 crushed gravel floor. It works very well in my 10 X 14. I agree with cole robbie about the pea gravel. It also is harder to keep clean than the larger crushed gravel.
    The auto vent openers are definitely needed. I wish I had ordered the double (dutch) door, but managed to make one myself. I also added a lower side vent and upper end wall vent. The upper vent has an exhaust fan on a thermostat which helps keep temperatures down in the summer, especially with a mist system.

• cole_robbie
    11 years ago

Are you going to have any supplemental heat? If you pour a slab of concrete, you could run a heating cable through it, either electric or the pex tubing to circulate hot water. My ideal setup would be an external combustion stove (which I have now) used to heat hot water that is circulated under the floor. I use forced air, because that is the equipment I was given, but heating water is much more efficient than heating the air. The insulating r-value of any greenhouse is going to be horrible. It makes much more sense to use water to heat the mass of the floor. All you need then for insulation is some styrofoam for the sides of the slab.

• MegaRamsey
    11 years ago

This pic is before the stone was delivered. We put in 6 cement pillars, to down below frost line. That oughta hold it! :)
    Thank you everyone for your feedback and suggestions! Good info. This greenhouse package comes with the 2 auto roof vent openers, it's also insulated, I don't plan to heat it this year... we'll see how things progress... the greenhouse hasn't arrived yet, I'm kind of unhappy about that, they said it would be shipped out mid August, and the latest email they say it hasn't been shipped yet. hmmm...
    I am glad to see others who have one of these and that they are happy with them.
    Well... I'll post again once it is up ~ Thanks again!

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner