Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grape Arbor 11' x 14'

Posted by lavender_lass WA zone 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 8, 10 at 21:32

I'm wondering if anyone has built a grape arbor/pergola this big? What dimension wood should be used? How close to each other should the support posts be? I want to use pressure treated wood or cedar...any suggestions?

I'm hoping to have a strong enough structure to support grape vines and snow...which we sometimes get a lot of in this area. This winter, not so much, but the last two winters...almost 100".

I have heavy clay soil and should probably sink the posts in quite a bit, but still want plenty of room to walk under the arbor/pergola without bumping into the grapes. I want to have a large table, maybe 3' x 6' and up to six chairs under the arbor/pergola.

I was thinking maybe four posts on either of the long sides, but I'd like to span the 11' without a center post. Does this sound reasonable? I want some cross pieces on the top with the smaller 1" x 2"s perpendicular to the cross beams. Will this be enough support for the grapes? I don't want lattice as it is too difficult to maintain and will rot with all the snow.

Any pictures or suggestions would be very appreciated. I have a contractor who will build it for me, if I supply the dimensions and materials list. He builds a lot of lake homes, but there aren't a lot of pergolas in our area. We have hot summers, but they're not very long and most people want to get as much sun as possible. I like shade :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grape Arbor 11' x 14'

Awhile ago we installed a water feature in this customers back yard. I thought they had a nice arbor so I took some pictures of it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Eric

o

lass, get yourself a book on building decks. The structure you're describing will be framed just like the understructure of an elevated deck. Investigate post spacing and joist sizing ... and, yes, a structure can be built without a center post if you design it right. I can't put my hands on it right now, but my deck book has a table that shows how much space different size joists can span.

I think mature grapevines would eat a 1 x 2 for lunch. A structure like you're describing will need some hefty lumber ... from the posts, to the joists, to the cross pieces. The pergola Eric shows looks like it has 6 x 6 posts, and equally beefy lumber in the overhead framing.

Connie

o

Connie- I think you're right, it is going to need a heavier structure.

Eric- Great photos! I'll show these to my contractor. That's exactly the kind of pergola I was imagining...except with grapes :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here