Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ultrasonic /nutramist foggers in a swamp cooler

Posted by gwoods34 none (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 21:33

As an update; in my efforts to prevent my yet to see a summer greenhouse from being a charcoal grill, I've built a couple vents, installed an exhaust fan, ordered plenty of Aluminet and installed a swamp cooler. I have an automatic drip system for watering my 5 fruit trees but am also considering a fogger system.

Here's my thought and question: as I was browsing around the forum looking for testimonials about various fogger systems I read a few posts about untrasonic & nutramist foggers. One concern expressed was that fog simply hovers above the water reservoir and settles to the floor and doesn't really move through the gh. Has anyone tried putting the submersible fogger in the swamp cooler water reservoir?

Seems to me that if the fogger turned on when the swamp cooler started up that the fan would pull the fog out of the cooler and push it into the gh.

Is this worth doing or am I showing my inexperience again?

gwoods34

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ultrasonic /nutramist foggers in a swamp cooler

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 10:13

gwoods34:

I really doubt that you need the fogger in addition to what you listed, I don't and grow the best fruit of my life. The fruits you listed will have best eating quality with about 90F high temperatures. Even 95 isn't too high. But low humidity is important unless you want the fruit to rot. It's also important to not over water. In fact that's the most important factor. My trees get one inch every 10 days all summer. That's after drying the soil out in spring. I fully wet the soil in fall, don't water again until apricot harvest begins, and then one inch every 10 days until fall.

o

fruitnut,

Thanks, once again you've given me answers to questions I wouldn't even know to ask. I planted the little trees in Sept or Oct last year and watered them every day (about 1.5 gallon) with a drip system.

I'm not sure what 1 inch of water is but it seems like I'm getting a little carried away. And, when is apricot harvest anyway. (that's from an apricot tree guy)

Also, I didn't know that about humidity on fruit trees; I just asked the forum about putting an ultrasonic fogger in the water reservoir of my swamp cooler (which I thought was so clever). I was thinking in terms of cooling but after your response it's probably wasted effort.

Again thank-you; I'm hope for the day when I can brag about my great fruit crops. I'm studying as hard as I have time and am getting pretty excited for spring. Looks like I'll be ready for heat.

gwoods

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 15:48

gwoods:

We are all beginners some just start earlier. It took me 4-5 years to settle in on the correct watering regime. Until then I was on a yoyo, too much too little. Correct watering for you will be different than me. But at least it's a starting point. If the fruit isn't sweet enough water less. Too little is when leaves fall off the tree or fruit shrivels up.

Apricot harvest runs late April until June here. Probably a month later in your setup.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here