Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mollyd_gw

propane tanks

mollyd
17 years ago

A few weeks ago (can't remember when) I posted asking if there were any guages (spelling?) which could measure when a tank was empty. I was told that there weren't any. Today I was at a propane dealer purchasing a second 100# tank and they told me they have a two tank connector that switches to the second tank and indicates the first tank needs refilling! That's pretty darn close to what I wanted. I'll be getting that soon. They sell it for $53. and you need two special hoses ($5./each) for the hookup. It automatically switches to the full tank when one empties and sends up a flag letting you know it's done so.

Just thought I'd share this with you guys.

MollyD

Comments (20)

• ronnywil
    17 years ago

I saw a propane gauge just last night at Lowes for almost $20. They sold one at Costco last summer for around $15.

• bihai
    17 years ago

Ummm.....
    Yes, there are gauges on propane tanks that measure how much they have. However, I am not certain how big of a tank you have to have to get this. The smaller cylinders you get at hardware stores or box stores may not have a gauge, but the bigger tanks that you rent/buy from actual propane/natural gas companies, that they come to your house and refill for you with a truck, definitely have a gauge.
    My tank for my greenhouse is 250 gallons and has a gauge. Its the type of tank that looks like a big submarine and sits on concrete blocks. Its read in "% full"...80% is full (they have to leave 20% space empty in the tank for the expansion of gas in heat so the tank doesn't potentially blow up). So I know when mine gets to the 20% mark I am almost out.
    If you have a company coming to your place to refill your tank, you can sign up for what's called "keep full" service. That means that they put you on their regular delivery route and make certain your tank is kept full, by filling it once a week if it needs any.

• laserfan
    17 years ago

Molly I hope you can post more details about this when you get it, like mfr. and maybe a picture or link.

We just bought a 25gal (100#) tank for our GH when we realized our little 5gal (barbecue) tank was only going to last a few days in cold weather. We put one of those temperature strips at the bottom of the new tank but your solution sounds infinitely better, albeit 2x the cost (we think our 100# tank should last a full month at least in our winters).

• mollyd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

laserfan,

I expect to pick it up this week and will post details at that time.

Where were all these folks back when I asked if there were any guages made for tanks?? Anyway I can't have my tanks filled by delivery because my greenhouse is too far from the driveway. They can only reach up to 100' from the truck and my greenhouse is over 150' from the driveway.
    I now will have (2) 100 # tanks with the switch . It's getting cold here (8pm and -9F outside), Greenhouse is at 57. Last night it dropped to 50.

MollyD

• laserfan
    17 years ago

>Where were all these folks back when I asked if there were any guages made for tanks??

I dunno, but our propane dealer doesn't know how to Sell, that's for sure. I had asked about larger tanks when I was there with my little 5gal/20lb, and the only option then seemed to be the big 105gal/420lb or the "submarine". Then I go again and a 25gal/100lb is sitting there, so we go for it as the 105gal is way too big for us. I asked her if the 25gal could be fitted with a guage and she said "no", then I get it home and it looks like it has a guage port on it. Anyway this stuff is made to be more mysterious than necessary by our laid-back dealer.

The 25lb is the perfect size for us; a backup sounds really good too, but dontcha think that "175lbs full" is a little bit much for a portable tank! Hope you have a big strong husband to wrangle it.

>It's getting cold here (8pm and -9F outside)

ROTFL!!!! It froze here the other morning but last night never got below 45. We only (for now) light the GH heater when temps threaten freezing...

We're from the Upper Midwest and believe me, we do not miss the many nights (and days!!!) of subzero temperatures! Uff da!

p.s. Our ex-neighbor (His Purpleness) did a nice job last night, we think!!!

• mollyd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi lazerfan,

Got my second tank today (filled too) and the hookup. I took pictures but don't have them online yet to show you. The label only says part # 234-00 and has my company's logo of Phelps Sungas,Inc. Their toll free # is 1-800-458-4485 (ask for Steve). Maybe they can ship it to you? Cost was $53. You also need two special hoses 18" called Flexible Hose pigtail for low pressure appliance hookups. Cost was $18.00 for two. Other types don't work with this thing because of the opening. The regulator is built into the splitter thing so you won't need one with this. I'll try to get those photos up for you soon.

It was cold enough here today to close schools throughout the area. Right now it's a bit warmer at 5 degrees but the wind is really blowing making the windchill sub zero.

It's not hard to move those 100 # tanks if you have a pickup truck. They climb up into the bed to fill the tanks up so you only have to move them down (not up) once they're full. I help Paul by steadying the ramp we have to slide the tank down. When it's empty he can lift it by himself. We've been using a sled (kid type) to slide the tank the 150 ft to the greenhouse. All done in under 7 mins. I'd rather have home delivery but so far I've been told their hoses can only reach 100 ft. Today when we picked up the new tank the gal told me she thought they might have a truck with a 150 ft hose. She'll let me know. If so I'll get delivery later and a bigger tank since it cost less to buy more.
    HE lived near you? Poor things!(VBG)

MollyD

• laserfan
    17 years ago

MollyD thanks for the info; I will likely want such a setup if we determine one 25g is "too risky".

>HE lived near you? Poor things!

Sorry I was free-associating from your comment that -9degF was "getting cold"! "Getting" cold! "GETTING" cold! OMIGOSH! I do remember times in MN when you had to take care to blink alot lest your eyeballs freeze!

Prince no doubt didn't care it was raining Sunday-it was 80 or 90 degrees warmer there! He is a strange-looking little man to-be-sure but he is all music from the souls of his feet (SIC!) to the curls on his head! Prolly still lives in the same place ~2 miles from us (a purple house of course!)...

• mollyd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay I did the pictures. Lets see if I can link to them.

MollyD

This is the 2 tank connector, the 'flag' faces you.

This is the hose, you need two of these.
    {{gwi:291369}}

• Mike Larkin
    17 years ago

"Where were all these folks back when I asked if there were any guages made for tanks?? Anyway I can't have my tanks filled by delivery because my greenhouse is too far from the driveway. They can only reach up to 100' from the truck and my greenhouse is over 150' from the driveway.
    I now will have (2) 100 # tanks with the switch . It's getting cold here (8pm and -9F outside), Greenhouse is at 57. Last night it dropped to 50.

MollyD

Molly is there only one propane dealer in your area.
    I called around until I found a dealer with an extra long hose to fill my tanks.

The tanks provided by this dealer came with gauges. I have two 100 gal tanks and I call the dealer when the gauges are at 40%. BTW the price of lp gas varied greatly between dealers - it was worth calling around.

• mollyd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Plantman,

I own my tanks and they didn't come with any guages. I've called every propane dealer who services this area and gotten the same answer on the trucks hose length. As for prices they've all joined forces to have the same price. No variation within the area. I have to go outside my own area to get a cheaper price but if they deliver it they would charge the higher price that's normally charged here.

MollyD

• laserfan
    17 years ago

Thanks mollyd, after some searching I found the regulator. Appreciate your posts!!!! Thanks!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dual Tank Regulator

• mollyd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Looks just like mine laserfan. With shipping it will probably end up around the price I paid. Nice to know there are other sources for it. Now can you find those two little hoses you'll need? They call them pigtails. Regular hoses don't fit this thing.

MollyD

• trigger_m
    17 years ago

Hmmmm.The propane company can't just drive over your yard to the greenhouse tank?My 250 gallon propane tank is about 300 feet from the driveway-they just drive over my yard to get to fill it.Just a thought,Mark.

• mollyd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mark,

Until January they would have damaged the lawn which was very soggy from all the excess rain we've had and possibly gotten their truck stuck.We were sinking into it just by walking on the lawn.
    Now the ground has frozen but there is a ton of snow the truck would have to drive over. I can't think of any sane driver wanting to take his truck over a lot of snow and risk getting stuck, can you? I don't expect that you have this problem in Georgia. Regional differences are amazing!

MollyD

• trigger_m
    17 years ago

Molly,just get a tank big enough that you can have it filled only once per year,when the ground is ok to drive on.I have mine filled once in the summer,when propane is cheaper,and don't have to worry about filling it again ontil the next year.How much propane do you use a year?Propane is way cheaper when you have it delivered,as opposed to having those small tanks filled.Propane is usually about 1/3 more expensive when you have a small tank filled.Mark

• mollyd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I would Mark but my Paul hates the sight of the things so I'm forbidden from getting a bigger tank even if it's cheaper to fill it.

MollyD

• Mike Larkin
    17 years ago

What about a second tank closer to the house, then run a line from that tank to the existing GH Tanks.

That was one option suggested to my by a gas company.

• mollyd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I like that idea plantman! I'll run it by Paul and see if I can get him to agree to that. Maybe find a way to cover it up so it's out of sight and not bother him?

MollyD

• mokevinb
    17 years ago

MollyD & others interested in knowing about tank gauges for smaller tanks (22lb - 100lb tanks). Check with a home center or RV dealer. I ran across two lines of products at a local farm & home store that offers it, one was with BBQ accessories and the other was with RV propane accessories. Both are a combo percentage gauge and shut off valve that you install between the tank and the line/regulator. The price is about half or less than the model that you bought. (I like the little flag feature, but if I am running two tanks on a manifold I can check my tanks weekly if need be.) Right now I am between propane dealers, I got into a tank ownership disagreement with the one I have used for over twenty years, and he locked up my tank so I couldn't get it refilled! (Happened in mid January, so I had to buy a 55,000 btu space heater and a 100lb tank to keep my house warm until I could get an electrician out to install some electric baseboard heaters.) As to the smaller tanks being refilled from a bulk truck, most dealers can't do it. The fittings are different for the smaller tanks and the larger ones. Plus they set your tank on a platform scale while filling it to see how much propane is in the tank.