Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which hoop house should I buy?

Posted by fitz442 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 11, 11 at 0:07

I need help deciding which hoop house kit to buy. Which one would you choose?

http://www.hoophouse.com/serious-gardner.html

or

EZ-Build & Gro Cold Frame 10'W x 7'H x 20'L by farmtek

https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_coldframes_hightunnels;pg105158f_105170F.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which hoop house should I buy?

Where are you located? I am guesssing shipping would play a little part in it. Also, I looked at both and the Hoophouse.com one looks a little "erector set" like. If it can be shipped UPS, then it will have many small pieces and lots of connectors.

The Farm Tek one seems better, to me, but I would be worried about the 5 foot bow spacings. I would want it to be 3 ft or 4 ft. I would go with the Farm Tek, but then again, I would just build my own.

Jay

o

Greg, you may be able to see a brown loop in the front. I lift the entire structure and prop it open.

Dan

o

Thank you Jay for responding,

I live in Texas in the Houston area and Want to be able to grow tomatoes year long. I was hoping to be able to use a hoop house to grow tomatoes all year. Of course shipping plays a part and I don't have confidence to build my own hoop house.

o

I bent and made my own frame out of galvanized fence top rail and posts then finished it using stuff from Farmtek. I really didn't save any money over their kits.

Keep in mind that the kits don't include much of what you need to finish your hoop house. The U-channel(wiggle wire) is expensive but really nice. You can change the plastic cover and get it tight with one helper on smaller houses. Use the self tapping screws they sell. The assembly instructions posted on their site are pretty good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here