Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

High Tunnels Finished

I posted this on another forum and thought I would share them with this group. I completed by two new high tunnels this week. They are 18 by 42 ft and 18 by 45 ft. The design is all my own. I took pieces that I liked from many sources and put that together with the materials and budget I had available and this is what I came up with.

A quick description. They are make out of 1 inch PVC spaced 3 feet apart(I bought it at a greatly reduced price from a guy on craiglist)they are 20 feet long. They meet at the top of the four foot sidewall, connect with a 45 degree coupler and run into the pipe on the ground. The 4 by 4 posts are spaces 10ish feet apart and there is a 2 by 4 attached at the top and bottom. The pipes are attached to the 2 by 4 at the top. There is a ridge pole that is bolted to the ribs at three foot intervals. There are guide wires added to take out end to end movement. There are four of these in the building. I added a 2 by 4 ridge beam with two posts to strengthen the whole structure. The end walls are framed with 2 by 4's and have OSB removable panels and doors. The plastic is Klerks K-50. I added two light weight ropes over the top of the plastic to help control the "Ballooning" effect. They are loosely connected to the bottom of the posts. The sidewalls are secured using a zig-zag twine that is wrapped around screws. The plastic is secured with 1 by 2 furring strips. Wiggle wire was not in the budget. My wife told me I had a $1,000 to spend and I spent $990 with the deal on the pipe from craigslist.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Tomatoes go out next week!

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Facebook photo album of finished high tunnels

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County