Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moon1234_gw

Cutting Wiggle Wire Channel

moon1234
12 years ago

So I bought 23-8 foot sections of wiggle wire channel for my new greenhouse I am putting up. What I did not think about is how to cut this stuff. What do people do? I have read about people using circular saws, etc to cut it, but that sounds really dangerous. Not only from all of the aluminum fines, etc. but what if it graps a small piece and launchs it at your head?

Has anyone used snips to cut it? I am almost regretting getting it now and thinking I may return most of it and just use nail down strips of wood. My greenhouse is in my backyard and the kids like to run around back there barefoot. I would feel really bad if they got aluminum chips in their feet or worse when mowing the lawn.

Grrr. I bought the pipe straps so I would not have to drill the purlins (we wound up having to drill the purlins on the end bows and put in bolts or they kept sliding through. I am less worried about the steel as it will rust out in the yard over the course of years, but aluminum is a base metal so it will never really rust out.

Am I worrying too much about this? I am predrilling the u-channel over a paper bag so most of the tailings/fines are falling in there. I then tap on the uchannel to get as much out as I can. Sweep the floor and carefully throw away the paper bags I ripped up and put on the floor to catch what hit the floor. Then I use tek screws to secure the channel to the 2x8 baseboards.

I like the idea of the u-channel, just really hate the idea of drilling and cutting aluminum. If they made wood u-channel I would have just bought that. Cut wood, dust goes into yard and is decomposed a few months later.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County