Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosiew

Recommendations for non-glass cover

rosiew
11 years ago

I'm not building a greenhouse - wish I could! - but I am having a large pergola built on the patio. Would like your advice about a clear material I could use that would be UV protected, would stay clear. Can't be glass because we do have some hailstorms. It would be covered (either over or under) with shadecloth in the summer. Durability really important to me. I'd love to have a place to sit under even if it's raining. Have really hot summers here in the Atlanta area. It would also serve as protection from wind driven rain so I could leave windows and sliding door open for the four or five months I don't need to use heat or A/C.

Design hasn't been finalized and the rafter spacing could be adapted to available materials being able to be secured on top of the rafters. Hope I'm making myself clear.

Would also like to know what type of material to apply to seal against leakage.

Will really appreciate your input.

Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

Comments (13)

• oakhill (zone 9A, Calif.)
    11 years ago

Sounds like clear corrugated polycarbonate panels, uv protected, would work for your pergola cover.

Here is a link to one of many sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: polycarbonate panels

• rosiew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. Took time out to find translations for cuestra and robles. Now would like to know where the name came from.

I will talk to someone at the company soon. I would like to know what effect I'd get with the heat gain property of the clear corrugated polycarbonate panels. If I'm lucky they'll have pics of it being used as pergola material.

I was thinking of a non-corrugated material, but this might be a very nice solution, so thanks for this information.

Any other suggestions welcomed, of course. I've been in the planning/saving $$ stage for nearly four years. So glad I may get it done this spring.

Rosie

• cole_robbie
    11 years ago

What are your reasons for wanting a clear roof? Greenhouse panels are expensive. You may be able to accomplish your goals for less money.

• rosiew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Reasons for a clear roof. Hmmm.

I'd love to use the pergola rain or shine in nice weather.

I want protection from wind driven rain so windows can be left open. Could just place panels in perhaps as little as 2' to accomplish that. Haven't seen any examples of this.

Don't want a solid roof because I'd lose my winter sunlight into the kitchen, living room and bedroom. Plan to use shadecloth to reduce the light in the summer. The pergola is tiled with slate and I can't walk barefoot on it most of the day because it's way hot.

Want to be able to look up and see the sky, clouds, moon.

I'll probably think of more later.

Any thoughts on accomplishing these goals with a nice look are welcomed!!!

Rosie
    p.s. love your screen name, Cole Robbie.

• oakhill (zone 9A, Calif.)
    11 years ago

Corrugated polycarb panels are used over porches and entryways on commercial buildings, in addition to greenhouses. Corrugated has more structural integrity than flat of the same thickness. It also allows you to channel the rain runnoff. Finally, by overlapping the panels a small amount, it is much easier to seal the seams than with flat panels. The effect of heat build up under it would be partially determined by the height of the roof, and the openings below. If at least 3 of the sides are open, and the roof is fairly high, then this should not be a significant problem in your situation.

(Cuesta Roble means Oak Hill, as you found out. I live on an oak-covered hill (actually an oak-covered mountain top, but I liked 'Cuesta Roble' better than 'Sierra Roble'.....)

• rosiew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cuesta,

If considering polycarb panels, what choices would I have? Don't know the price difference using non-corrugated. I can have the cover built to provide water runoff, tying in to the roof a bit higher than the outer support columns. Height of the columns is 10', add a couple +/-' for rafter supports and rafters, Max width would be about 14'. There will be air circulation on three open sides plus about 2' along the house side. Overall dimensions will be 14' x 28', plus adjacent 10' x 10'.

For now I'd like to find the best for my situation/needs product and then plan the framing around the dimensions of those materials. Hoping for a consensus among this forum, then pricing and praying it's feasible. Also wondering if there's a source for seconds. Know of one for the shade cloth I'm considering.

See I misspelled cuesta above. Sorry. So wish I knew more Spanish.

Looking forward to more specific direction re products. And hope I haven't lost y'all with all my yacking.

Rosie
    p.s. also want to know the life expectancy of the polycarb pls.

• cole_robbie
    11 years ago

Thanks, Rosie.

If you want to see the stars through your roof, it will need to be made of a material intended for windows. Greenhouse coverings that are considered clear still don't make very good windows. You could place a big skylight window over where you plan on sitting to star view, and make the rest of the roof out of something that transmits enough light for your needs.

• rosiew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cole_Robbie,

What material do you mean when you say "intended for windows"?

Sitting here, impatiently waiting for the bid from the contractor.

BIGGEST QUESTION OF THE DAY: Can someone lead me to a list of suppliers of roof panels?????????? I'm on the East Coast, Atlanta, GA area.

You folks have been great helping me. I really appreciate it!

Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

• cole_robbie
    11 years ago

I mean that there's a big difference between transmitting light and being transparent. Go and look through one of those polycarb panels, and you will see what I mean. Everything will look blurry. That's why they don't make windows out of it. If you want to see stars, you'll need a material that is typically used in windows, like glass or plexiglass. Recycled windows might be an option, but you'll have to account for rainfall runoff; you don't want it to hold water. That's why skylights in buildings have little domes over them.

• japus
    11 years ago

At a home & garden show last year in Pittsburgh PA., there was an exhibit of what resembled venetian blinds on top of a pergola.
    These blinds were top shelf material , all designed to fit very neatly into the area .Control was manual or electric, to open and close. Closed tightly and opened vertically or what ever angle you chose..
    Expensive...YES.... $40.00 square foot, could fit into any area, if I had the funds, that's how I would do mine.
    I cannot recall what is was called, nor do I remember the dealer.

• rosiew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

japus,

Sounds like a great product, but definitely not in my budget.

Cole - realize now what you're saying. Thanks. I think for now I should just find either tempered glass or plexiglass to place above the two sets of windows and a sliding door for a bit of rain deterrent. Three door panels would probably do it.

Speaking of not in my budget, I want to share these screens. A bit off topic because not designed for a greenhouse, but so beautiful............first three images I believe. These are pure genius!!

Rosie

Here is a link that might be useful: Aamodt/Plumb Architects amazing screens

• steve333_gw
    11 years ago

Home Depot (at least the local ones) carry flat plexiglass and the corrugated roofing panels. So you could head there to look thru them. Be sure to check if the flat plexi has UV protection; if not it will cloud over within a few years outside.

You might also want to check out double wall GH polycarb panels. They are light weight and are fairly transparent (some distortion, similar to shower glass). You may need to go see a GH supplier to check this out.

• rosiew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

steve, will check to see what HD has. Appreciate you letting me know that's a possible source. Will also look for a local GH supplier in the Atlanta area.

Rosie

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?