Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandond_gw

starting seeds in greenhouse

brandond
14 years ago

Hey everyone. I have started 4 flats of seeds in my greenhouse under shop lights. I also started some last night next to the window. I started some alpine starwberry seed and some yellow phlox seeds.I built what I would call a trough for growing year around and starting seeds. I just drop seeded my berries and phlox and then sprayed them what a fine mist. Will they plants get leggy with this method?I was hoping with the time change that would add more light time and help with it. I have more seeds than I have artificial light at this point. My greenhouse is heated and well maintained for growing condions though.

Comments (11)

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

>> I was hoping with the time change that would add more light time and help with it. Duh, the day is not going to be any longer. The sun will rise an hour later and set an hour later, according to the clo-ck. Are you by chance a blonde?

Mike

• brandond
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Mike. Wow youre quite the smartass arent ya! The day isnt getting long but the sun will be out longer than before. More light equals more growing, or have I made it simple enough for you to comprehend.

• snoggle75
    14 years ago

Sorry, but Mike is correct on this one (though not very gentle about it). The days will gradually get longer because it is spring, but that has nothing to do with the time change.

• grow-anything
    14 years ago

I hope what the original poster was trying to say was that by the time daylight savings time rolls around we will have gained a few more minutes of daylight. We do gain some daylight every day this season, but correctly noted we will not gain an hour of new sunlight the day we move our clocks ahead one hour. I bet lots of folks would make that same mistake.

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

brandond,

Check out the link below. Change the location. Lots of good information about sunrise and sunset. You gain about 2.5 minutes a day.

Forecast for tonight: dark, continued dark overnight, widely scattered light by morning.

Don't take offense to the teasing. Continue posting!

I think they should move the clock two hours forward. More light in the evening to muddle around the place. This dosen't help the morning folks.

Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunrise and Sunset

• colokid
    14 years ago

AW, come on fellows...answer his question.
    He wants to know if the greenhouse has enough light, even with the longer days, without adding artificial.
    My guess is "probably"

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

Well, I'm thinking even with the shop lights, legginess may happen. You need the lights right on top of the flats and move them up as they grow.

I don't see leggy plants as an issue. When I pot-up, I just plant them deeper.

I've never started strawberries from seed. Do they get leggy?

Eric

• calliope
    14 years ago

There is plenty of ambient light in most U.S. latitudes now to start seeds without light supplementation in a true g'house environment. I've thousands of them started already and nothing is leggy and nothing has lights on it.

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

brandond,

How are the seedlings???

Eric

• brandond
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They are doing very well. In fact Im at the point where I can start trasplanting some broccoli plants to larger pots. They are just starting to put on there true leaves. I guess this is also a point where I can start to fertilize a bit as well. So all in all there are around 4 inches tall and looking straight and strong.

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

Brandon,

I pricked and potted up 72 Thompson organic Broccoli seedlings today. Looks like I can pot up about 100 Bright Lights swiss chard tomorrow.

Eric