Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY Exhaust Shutter

Posted by brandond 6 (hdavis34@hotmail.com) on
Tue, Mar 3, 09 at 8:12

I decided that the exhaust fan and shutters were too expensive for my greenhouse. Actually I have overdone my budget of spending on my house and dont have the funds to get or spend 300 bucks on a fan and automatic intake shutters. I decide to use a 3 speed fan for my exhaust. I needed to protect it from the elements though. I built a 10x13 wood framed shutter box out of the cedar siding that I used on my build. It works well. They are basically two flaps. They open on out pressure and then drop down when the fan kicks off. I doubt that they will seal up as well as the expensive shutters but here in zone 6 I should be ok. Im learning its much more important to cool during these bright days. I had a day a few weeks ago where temps got to 100 degrees in there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY Exhaust Shutter

There are many less expensive options than buying new exhaust fans and shutters. I have not purchased a new fan or louver for any of my three greenhouses but I keep my eyes open for deals,usually at farm auctions, for deals a a fraction of the new price.

There are a few tips on what you should look for when purchasing used fans. First a functional louver is important. If it is bent or sticks it will be a headache to correct. When looking for a fan I prefer one with a pulley and belt and look for a motor mount that is common to replace. Motors are more easy to find and replace this way and your fan housing will usually outlast anything else.

You can get by without an intake louver if your greenhouse isn't very tight or you you physically open a door or window at an opposing end of your greenhouse prior to turning on the fan. Motorized louvers on a thermostat sure simplify things in your absense. I'm wiring in some extra fans and another louver this spring and I find that the wire and fixture costs can be substantial too. Plan your wiring to add more extras over time(circulation fans, lights, outlets).

o
RE: DIY Exhaust Shutter

I use gable fans and shutters from Home Depot, lot cheaper been working 7 years now. You can add like 1/4 inch rabbit wire over the opening to keep fingers out if located low in the greenhouse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here