Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
photochromic glass in a GH?

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 9:26

I'm sure such an idea would be cost-prohibitive for all but the richest gardener, but I'm wondering if such a thing is possible or has been done.

Using a photochromic glass (like used in self-darkening eyeglasses) for a greenhouse? Maybe even just on the roof panels. A glass that would darken on it's own at high light levels to reduce heat/light inside the GH.

This could be a more automated alternative to shadecloth that wouldn't reduce light levels at times when it was unnecessary or undesired (without having to have a system to draw back/remove and reinstall the shadecloth) such as during times of low sun angle or cloudy weather. Or it could just be appealing for the "not having to mess with it" factor.

Even a "thermophobic" glass (that darkens when a certain temp is reached) if it exists could do the same thing.

Say when light levels reach a certain lux level, the glass would darken to the equivalent of a 60% shade cloth (or whatever). Or if temps reach 90 degrees F, etc.

Mostly just something I'm brainstorming about - I doubt I'd ever do this myself.

Has anyone seen this done?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: photochromic glass in a GH?

Yes research is being conducted on this. I'll just let the website speak for its self. I found this very thing your talking about yesterday. I was doing a search for smart greenhouses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liquid crystal glass greenhouse.

o
RE: photochromic glass in a GH?

Computer controlled variable-skin ETFE roofs have been around for a while which perform a similar task.
Multiple layers of ETFE film are printed with a pattern. The amount of inflation between the layers moves the individual patterns closer or further apart which varies the amount of light entering the building. ETFE film is very lightweight so it doesnt need as much supporting framework as regular glass and the panels can be a lot bigger. The multiple air filled cavities also serve to increase the insulation value of the glazing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here