Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dadhaslonglegs

Posted by colokid 5/Co (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 9:41

You may have overlooked the question I asked a while back on "my first greenhouse". Anyway, if you care to answer. How hard to move that one after it is built? Is it solid enough to pick up and skid 20 or 30 feet, or would I risk bending it up?
I am waiting to put mine up until I rototill the spot.
Thanks
KennyP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dadhaslonglegs

If you are talking about the 10' X 12' Harborfreight greenhouse, I just built one amd might have an opinion or two that might help.
1. The box weighs just 230 lbs and unit doesn't gain weight-so lifting finished unit by 4 or 6 strong men wouldn't be hard.
2. Skidding it on that sheet metal base would shurely damage it.
3. The base (foundation) is made to fit in a ditch so interior dirt secures it from blowing away. Its relatively easy to level that base as a small unit-might be very difficult with a finished greenhouse.
4. Why do you desire to build it and move it? Time would be saved by just rototilling now and building it in place.
5. I built mine on deep gravely fill and already determined I must wait until it settles a year then must relevel it. If I build another I will just ditch the perimiter for foundation and avoid loostening as much soil as I can.
6. I am a healthy age 70 and built mine with no help-but then I know more cusswords then most folks.

o
RE: dadhaslonglegs

Thanks for the comments knotbored.
However the GH that dadlonglegs and I have only weighs 54 pounds shipping...a whole different thing. One reason for moving was to move it next to the house this winter to pipe heat into the house.
It appears the dadhaslonglegs has locked himself in his GH or has gone on vacation..so lets let this post die a natural death.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here