Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To What Temperature do you Heat your Greenhouse?

Posted by CanadianLori 6a Oakville (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 10:34

I'm looking at firing up my greenhouse again because I'm running out of room in the kitchen. Hubby tripped on a pot last night and accidentally killed the contents of it and the surrounding pots. It's time to move them out of harms way. But not from the kitchen to the "refrigerator".

My question: What is a good temperature to maintain in the greenhouse? What is the safest low point for large seedlings- plants that have several sets of leaves. These are peppers, tomatoes, various flowers.

I really need to know what I should do so would appreciate advice.

Thank you
Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To What Temperature do you Heat your Greenhouse?

33 degrees F. although with a wood stove there is no thermo-stat.

o

Turns out I have not much choice - I've got it heated to 50F because that seems to be the lowest my heater can be set without going down to pilot only which is too cold.

All of my babies were okay this morning - I guess I'd better get back to work here so I can pay the big gas bill that's coming...

many thanks
Lori

o

o

Thank you so much for the link.

o

In our location, I use ours mostly to just overwinter our plants & citrus trees so I usually maintain the temp around 55 degrees.
While I don't try to grow vegetables to maturity in our green house, I do germinate all our seeds/transplants in it. During this process, I maintain 70 degrees.

o

Depends if you just want survival, or growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here