Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fuzzymoto

Greenhouse Flooring - Epoxy? tile?

fuzzymoto
16 years ago

As we move closer to the greenhouse install I've been researching greenhouse flooring amd wanted to ask if anyone out here has tried an Epoxy floor? The greenhouse floor is currently unfinished concrete. To add durability, chemical resistance and to give it a good look, I was looking into Epoxy flooring (like I currently have in my garage). The problem I'm running into is that these Epoxy coatings are not UV resistant...so they yellow in direct sunlight. Anyone using an garage-type Epoxy floor or garage-type tile flooring in their greenouse??

Comments (8)

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

I finished installing my greenhouse last spring and I briefly considered a a concrete floor, possibly with ceramic tile. Then I realized that I would have no drainage. If I were you, I would drill through the concrete floor in several places with a concrete coring machine so you will have a couple of drain holes, then put in a 1"-2" bed of sand, and lay pavers over that. That way, the spills you have will go into the sand bed and flow to the drains.

I know that's not exactly the input you were seeking, but having a nice, impermeable floor in your greenhouse may be a continuing source of unhappiness, and a possible slip hazard.

• birdwidow
    16 years ago

I have glazed quarry tile on my GH floor and love it, for it's ease of cleaning and bright appearance, but as kudzu noted, with any impermeable floor in a GH, you really MUST have a floor drain.

But why are we assuming you don't? Surely you did have a floor drain installed before the concrete was poured?

As for the paint: I know several people who did their garage floors with the epoxy and for the mess and expense, both have now regretted they didn't just lay down the same commercial dry back asphalt floor tiles used in stores. If they can take being abused by fork lifts being run on them in Home Depot, they will hold up even better in any home garage or GH and compared to the fancy vinyl's are reasonably cheap too.

• fuzzymoto
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No sure how we got off on this tangent...but my concrete floor was created specifically for the greenhouse so it does already has several drains in the floor and the Epoxy floor would notinterfere with them.....

I currently have a good Epoxy floor in my garage and I love it. If done well with good prep and materials they come out indestructible...and I have seen terrible Epoxy floors too so I'm not surprised to hear about your friends.

My concern with tile is dirt & debris getting down in the cracks making it difficult to keep clean, and the transition to the floor drains (although I think this could be worked out). I've looked at the commercial VHT tile (like supermarkets use). It requires adhesives that I wasn't crazy about using in a greenhouse and I was concerned that perhaps the chemicals in the fertilizers and long term water exposure would cause the adhesive to fail. They're also not the easiest to install well on a floor sloped for drainage.

This is why I was leaning toward Epoxy...durable, chemical resistent, easy to clean, looks good and won't stain...it's just the UV issue that I'm strugggling with. I was hoping to find someone that had treid it already in their greenhouse.

• birdwidow
    16 years ago

I understand your desire to make your floor pretty much a forever thing and why you would be concerned about discoloration. I also want my GH to be an attractive environment.

Do it, but then not have to deal with it again, but have it look nice too.

So..... Have you thought about the matte glazed ceramic tiles made for bathroom floors? Yes, it takes more time and labor to install them, but once done, they would be impervious to anything you spill on them, never fade, last pretty much forever and with some spares on hand, an occassional cracked one would be a quick & easy replacement. Just a thought.

• fuzzymoto
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have...but I'm just not that handy to install them and I'm not crazy about the grout lines and the maintenance...and so far the winning choice it to choose a color Epoxy that won't show the yellowing as much....so far

• joe12
    13 years ago

There IS UV resistant epoxy flooring out there -- only not at the hardware store! My brother had his garage (he keeps door open all the time) floor coating done with Florock.net.

I'm planning on calling them for my boss -- 800-FLOROCK (800-356-7625).

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Florock

• fuzzymoto
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Holy two-year-old-thread batman....The Epoxy is in and has been doing fine for two years.

• john_simpson
    11 years ago

Hi there, we used a waterbased epoxy from nugard and it is non-toxic and very tough. Its been on for 5 years, no signs of aging. Great product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nugard_Waterbased_Epoxy