Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
4x8' tempered glass

Posted by tracerracer z7OR (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 12, 09 at 13:32

I was lookin' for some old windows to top my cold frame, 8x4'3", (hair-brained idea has to wait a while), talked to a merchant in another close by town and he said that he wold cut me a deal on 4 4x8' sheets of 1/4" tempered glass ($50) he had. I said sure (although I only need 1, cheaper than the plexiglass i looked @ ) Turns out he had 5 not 4 (so my deal was better than it started, I did call and confess there were more pieces, he was just happy they were gone) Here's my REALLY stupid question:

I had in my head that I would @ some point use double pane windows for the insulation value, to build the GH I really want, Do I need to look for some covering to insulate these when the time comes that we put a real GH together?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 4x8' tempered glass

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 12, 09 at 16:13

Double pane is always better than single pane for winter heating. Since I am in a slightly milder climate than you (Zone 8) and only keep my greenhouse at about 38F in the winter, I went with single pane glass.

Any way, congratulations on the great deal you got. If you use these panes for that future greenhouse, you can easily improve the R-value by applying bubble wrap to them in winter. A lot of people just order big rolls of the stuff online from a packaging materials web site, because it's usually a lot cheaper than buying the same type of material from a greenhouse supplies store. You simply cut it to size and use a soapy solution, a temporary spray adhesive, or clips to hold it in place. You can then pull it off and store it in the summer.

(One other thing...I assume you know that tempered glass cannot be re-cut?)

o
RE: 4x8' tempered glass

(I worked in a glass shop for 4yrs, but, thanks for the reminder, you sounded just like me...lol) I was thinkin' that I'd need something like bubble wrap, just wanted someone that is more experienced that I (and maybe less dangerous)...........It will become a GH at some point, but SB starts Monday, so free time (read that as extra time) is in short supply until June...........My DH is starting to plan it tho, it's kinda sounding like a taj mahal, of course he then blames me (as in 'well, Tracy had to have the Taj Mahal of chicken coops'.(his plan lol)...) Thanks again.............T

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here