Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plant_one_on_me

How early can I put plants outside?

plant-one-on-me
16 years ago

I am new to starting my own seeds and want to get started. I do not have money for grow lights, even the cheapo floresent ones. I also only have 1 small window on the south side of the house. Here is what I was hoping to do...

I plan on taking my husband's sawhorses and placing them on the patio which is in full sun from morning until the sun moves to the west at which time it would be shaded from the house. I would place a couple 2x4's across the top and them place some heavy duty plastic on top. I would be able to move my plants outside around 8am and bring them back inside around 4 pm. I work the midnight shift and go to bed about 4pm so that is why I would bring them in at that time.

Anyway, how warm does it need to be in my little makeshift greenhouse in order to move the plants in and out and not shock them too much. Also, what temps does it need to stay in order to leave them out all night? I am hoping to start tomatoes, peppers, melons, cukes etc as soon as possible but don't want them to get too leggy before I can begin to put them outside. Thanks, Kim

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area