Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
solar heating cloudy days?

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 15:26

Generally speaking, do you find that your GH is still warmer than ambient outdoor temps on CLOUDY days, without an additional heat source?

If so, how much warmer?

I don't have a GH yet. I ask because whenever we have a March snowstorm, the weatherfolks talk about how the sun is so strong in March that, even through the clouds, we may see most of it melt.

Does that mean that, at least during the part of the year where solar angle is higher, that a GH will get at least a little solar heating on cloudy days?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: solar heating cloudy days?

With clear film, I get 15-20 degrees of gain on cloudy days, and 50 or more on sunny days. My greenhouse has the clear film, but my high tunnel of tomatoes has opaque film. It does not get quite as hot, and the tomatoes don't get sun scald as badly.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 19:28

Even on the cloudiest days there is some gain. About like Robbie states. Mine even gains about 6F on heavily overcast nights. This is with IR and woven poly.

o

I assume the gain is better in April than December?

o

My brand new greehouse has at least a 10-15 degree gain during the day on a very overcast day in oregon. But on a sunny day its much more like 20-40 degrees. during the night it stays at least 6 degrees warmer than the outside temp. which is good to keep tomatoes from getting cold stressed from 40 or bellow nights. i have a review of the green house i have on my youtube channel if you would like to take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: TheItalian Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here