o
manure heated greenhouses

Posted by jdldal (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 15:48

I built a 6 x 8 greenhouse that has wood sides 4ft high,
and pvc hoops covered by plastic. I designed it with bins
2ft wide x 8ft long and sides that are 4 ft high. can
I fill these bins full of manure and will this heat my
greenhouse? Or will there be fumes that will kill the plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: manure heated greenhouses

jdldal,

You would think so, for awhile anyway. You may have to turn, "mix" to keep it active. That maybe difficult in deep bins. Look at some of Will Allen videos on Youtube. He heats some of his large greenhouses with compost in the four corners.

Eric

o

When I was a kid, growing up on our farm, my dad dumped several spreader loads of manure on our 1/2 acre garden. We had tremendous growth that year but little fruit production, a serious situation for a farm family of six who relied upon what they could grow themselves. Too much N, I guess. Just a thought about too much manure.

Mark

o

Mark,

I believe jdldal is use it as a heat source not a growing media. You are right about the Nitrogen.

Eric

o

You are correct I want to use it as a heat source.

o

i think it would work, although it might take up a bit of space in a small house. another option which i would like to try in the future is a manure heated radiant system. basically, this is constructed outside the house and you run your heat into the house via pex water lines. the design i saw was a barrel of water with a pump in it that was surrounded by a hot manure pile. i wish i knew where i read the article, i'm pretty sure it's hiding in one of my giant stacks of mother earth news. but, here's another good article to check out. the nice thing about incorporating radiant into the manure system is that you can run your lines under raised beds or tray tables which produces a more direct source of heat for tender plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: national sustainable agriculture information service

o

Hi all! I'm new to this forum, and so grateful to find it. The article I'm aware of regarding heating with manure is called, "Biomass Greenhouse Heating, A report on the use of compost to heat a free-stading greenhouse." The article appears in one of my Back Home Magazines, Sept/Oct 2008 issue. This lady set up this system OUTSIDE of her greenhouse using wood chips and manure. By composting, it creates heat. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Back Home Magazine Issue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here