Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
High wind and hoop house made of metal pipe

Posted by ginger5588 N. Calif (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 16:33

Ok. Here I go again. I never got my question answered last time. I'm hoping to put up a bent pipe hoophouse, probably
8x15 and cover it with corrugated fiberglass....because...

I live in a very windy area and that 6ml plastic would last about 2 minutes here.

Has anyone used fiberglass to cover their greenhouse??
I'm talking about the whole thing, not just the ends.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: High wind and hoop house made of metal pipe

Greenhouse film can go as thick as 12 mil, still cheaper in ling run than fiberglass-polycarb and easier to deal with and cheaper to vent.

I just drove by a commercial GH op today and sustained wind up there is in the 42-44kt range and GH film still intact. Our winds here are tremendous and doesn't faze growers.

Dan

o

Dan, thanks. Guess in my research I didn't see that gh plastic comes in 12 mil. That just might withstand the
winds around here.

o

In all the pictures I have seen of bend hoop houses, crushed hoop houses I have never seen one with torn plastic. I don't think you are giving credit to how strong greenhouse plastic is. If you secure it properly and patch up any holes with greenhouse tape, you should be ok.

If you are concerned about it check out northerngreenhouse supply. They sell a woven product to cover your house with. If this is the same stuff we used on our hog hoop building, I will agree with its strength.

Jay

o

I second the vote for. northern greenhouse sales - they have great product, great service. Go with the woven poly and properly installed, wind will not be a problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here