Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low-E glass.

Posted by blockmanjohn NY (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 18:16

I am building a small greenhouse off of my living room.It will share a radiant heat loop with the house and will mainly consist of stock windows and skylights. My question is should I order the windows with low-e glass or plain insulated glass? I would like to maximize the amount of solar heat the structure retains during winter days. In the summer it would be ventilated after a certain temperature is reached. If any one has any experience with this situation I would greatly appreciate some advice. Thanks, John.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low-E glass.

I like it that you are extending the radiant out to the GH. The low-e glass is a good way to go if you can swing it, as it increases blockage of long-wave radiation and that's what you want.

Dan

o
RE: Low-E glass.

Low E glass costs me some 10 to 15 % more than standard insulated glass, depending on the brand. When I first began installing this product in my homes, years ago, it cost 30-40% more, as I recall. A good value, but shop it.

Mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here