Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerwantabe

Pictures of 10x12 HFGH Modifications

gardenerwantabe
18 years ago

Dave from Milw wanted me to post some photos of my assembled HFGH.

I still have a lot of work to do yet but I have started on the wiring and these photos show the conner bracing that I detailed on another post. Also one shot shows the L bracket that strengthens the base their are three per side.

Here is a link that might be useful: 10x12 HFGH

Comments (18)

• roxy77
    18 years ago

Wow, that's incredible. It looks great and I think the ceiling fan is going to be super useful! Nice job!

• milwdave
    18 years ago

Hey Dick;

Now THAT'S an awesome peice of work. I'm gettin' one. The modifications didn't seem to be too much work. Did you just mount the house's base to the wood foundation? I thought about making the wood base just slightly smaller than the house's base and then mounting it directly through the base into the wood. Nice work though...I know you'll be hapy with it. Another big help is from whoever posted the directions as a pdf file. That'll make decisions a lot easier.

Dave
    Milwaukee

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dave
    In the post called HF and you won't believe what they said I posted a rather detailed explanation of the modifications and what materials that I used.
    It is almost down to the end.
    The pictures along with the post that I made should help people to better understand what I did to it.
    I have never seen what holds the 6x8 wall studs on. But on mine they have a J clip that hooks under the lip of the base and since all angle bracing anchors with the conner posts making them solid really made a difference.
    Before just a slight push would cause them to flex a lot but now if I lunge on a conner post with my petite 280 lbs it don't give it just slides the whole GH on the garage. floor. L.O.L.
    Glad that you like it. Boy It really has headroom

• puffysmom
    18 years ago

How wonderful. I envy u. I see green grass at your place and no snow. As soon as our snow is gone I am going to start working on it. I know I can do a little by myself but most of it my son has to do. I like the looks of the GH and am glad I bought one.
    Thanks for posting the pictures.

Did u make a trench for it or lay some square blocks with 2X4s on top of that. I did see a little snow in the first picture. :>) From what I have been reading here I thought that some were digging trenches and then laying some kind of foundation. Inquiring mind wants to know.
    How will frost affect it. Any ideas?

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Puffysmom
    The treated timber will just lay on the ground.
    The ground will move a little but in the spring it will settle.
    Only way to prevent that is to dig below the frost line that is about 36 inches around here.
    If one side is a quarter inch higher than the other you will never know it.

• nathanhurst
    18 years ago

That looks fantastic! Do you run the fan all the time, or on some kind of control?

• mraroid
    18 years ago

Wow! I am loving that fan. What make & model number is it? Where did you buy it? I take it that it is not rated for wet (greehouse) enviroments? I was going to use some cheap box fans (Home Depot), but your fan just looks so great, I may invest in one for my bigger greenhouse.

jack

• feisty
    18 years ago

Dave I am the one that got HF to send me the PDF file of the instructions. I figured I could start reading to see what all I needed to get extra and how much was involved in setting it up. The trucking company called yesterday and I am getting mine today. It does say on the front page of the instructions that they change things often to make improvemnts. I sure hope those instructions are still good. I had read that some people did not recieve instructions when they received their GH's. I am wondering if any of you that just recently got the 10 x 12 have had that happen?

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nathanhurst I plan on running the fan 24/7 while the plants are in the Gh. This will only be used to grow flowers from seed every year for the wifes flower gardens. Most of the year it will sit empty.

mraroid to answer your question. I bought it at LOWES it was on sale. No it is not made for a greenhouse but neither is the fan that I have been using in past years in my other GH. I will have everything out of the GH by mid April so I have no need for mister or aqua fogger no water sprayer equipment so the fan will be fine.
    While the heat is on the fan will be run on low and it will take the heat from the ceiling and push it down over the plants. In the day time when it is hot the roof vents will open and with the fan running in reverse it will push the heat out the top and bring cool air in the vents that I plan on installing at the bottom sides.
    With the fan on high it can change the air in the GH three times per minute on low less than once a minute.
    I have a lot to do to it yet, This GH will not go into operation until next year.

• blondboy47
    18 years ago

This begs the question, why isn't HFGH posting this PDF on their website for all purchasers to have access?

Also, if they make many changes, why are they not QUICKLY updating the PDF and re-posting that to their website?

Ya know, a little thing like that, goes a long way to good customer service..... and word of mouth does travel great distances. :)

• feisty
    18 years ago

My 10 x 12 was delivered today. The box was inside a square tube steel cage. One end of it is dented pretty good but the box looks okay. Just to make sure though before I open it I am gonna get my son to take pictures of it in the morning and email them back to Harbor Freight and the Yellow Freight trucking company. I'll have to wait on my husband to open the box up to make sure it is in one piece. I just had surgery yesterday or I would be tearing into it right now and trying to assemble it. :)

It does have a plastic bag attached to the outside of it with 20 or so extra nuts and bolts, and an allen wrench. I think I remember someone on here stating that theirs was short some bolts. It also has the assembly instructions taped to the outside of the box. I checked those against the PDF file that Harbor Freight sent me and it is identical.

• soycandle
    18 years ago

Awesome job, wantabe...so is it car storage the rest of the year!? Don't cook the vette!

Great ideas for use of the fan. Lookin' good!

-Lynn

• slaphead
    18 years ago

Wantabe,

That's an awesome greenhouse, thanks for the pictures.

Feisty,

Congrats on the new arrival.

SH

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LYNN
    Now that I have the greenhouse out of my shop I moved the vette from the garage back into the shop.
    I got to get it ready for the upcoming show season and get it running good so i can take you for a 200+ mph ride this summer.

• feisty
    18 years ago

aberwacky I read somewhere in here that you said that you came across a glitch with part 24 & 25 not fitting together properly. My husband is at that step right now. He doesn't want to clip it just yet so he is working around that part right now. He said he will come back to it afterwhile. Have you figured out what the deal was with that yet and have you ran across any problems from clipping it?

• feisty
    18 years ago

aberwacky I read somewhere in here that you said that you came across a glitch with part 24 & 25 not fitting together properly. My husband is at that step right now. He doesn't want to clip it just yet so he is working around that part right now. He said he will come back to it afterwhile. Have you figured out what the deal was with that yet and have you ran across any problems from clipping it?

• feisty
    18 years ago

Okay my husband put up the greenhouse today. Everything worked out fine. When he got to the glitch that aberwacky spoke of he just skipped that step and didn't screw them together. Later when he put the door hardware on it all came together fine. Now I'm wondering aberwaky how that affected you since you had clipped yours already. Did it make the top brace too short? Ours is all completed but he ran out of daylight so he just has a few more polycarbon sheets to put on the sides and it will be all completed until the glass louver windows I ordered for the sides come in.

• aberwacky_ar7b
    18 years ago

Sorry I didn't see your post, feisty! My internet connection at home is down, so I'm offline on the weekends.

We finished the greenhouse this weekend and didn't have any problems from clipping 24/25 that I could tell. We did have a very annoying issue with one of the door frame pieces--I had to grind down the top end of one piece so that it would slide onto the track--it was about 1/16 inch too tall just behind the wheel, if that makes any sense, and it acted like a stop that prevented the door from going all the way onto the track.

The only other issue we ran into was that my #60 pieces of polycarbonate were just a smidge too short, and wouldn't fit both under the crown and over the gutter, so I ended up shorting the tops just a little so it will hang over the gutter and using foil tape to cover the gap at the top. Anyone else have this problem?

Still need to install my automatic vent openers and set up my benches, and DH needs to hook up the wiring (conduit is already run from the house), but it's usable now.

We had a big rain this morning, but I didn't have a chance to check the GH and see how it fared before I left for work this morning. I did notice the floor was wet, but I had left the roof windows open.

Leigh

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH