Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudy_gw

Could we peek inside your greenhouse?

trudy_gw
14 years ago

Could we peek inside your greenhouse? Would love to see some photos of both inside and out. We are in zone 5, so am really interested in what you have growing in a greenhouse in our zone this time of the year. Our growing in the greenhouse will consist mostly growing seedlings late winter early spring and possibly fall lettuce. Who knows what will develop once we get greenhouse addicted.

We did buy a 10x 12 HFG, but a going to wait and take our time putting it in the right spot and build it correctly. We thought about getting it together yet this spring. We have hilly land and its just to wet were we are thinking of placing the HFG. So in the mean time will be putting up our portable greenhouse that we use in the spring for hosta seedings and veggie seedlings.

Comments (17)

• poppa
    14 years ago

This is my first winter with a greenhouse so i have no idea whats possible but...

FYI - it is unheated so far and likely I may not do any additional heat in the future.

I planted peas and beets in November when I first got the plastic up. The peas came up and grew to about 3 inches and then slowly grew throughout the Winter. The beets came up and didn't grow at all. Didn't die off either.

Because my "soil" is almost beachsand, the beets got burried because the condensation in the GH literally caused it to rain and the splashing sand covered them. I can still rinse them off and find a few survivors. The peas have taken off and are now over a foot tall.

I have added two in-ground beds and the following are all growing nicely. Broccoli, lettuce, spinach, beets, raddishes and peas. Broccoli and peas are about 3". The rest is just coming up.

The grass needs mowing... it's about a foot tall. As i add new beds i am removing it. Other weeds have started growing the past week. I need to get something to kill them off. Saw a propane torch used for that. Don't really want to use roundup indoors.

I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

Poppa

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

Trudy,

Not in your zone, but here are some pix.

I use my greenhouse for seed starting, wintering over, and growing produce.

{{gwi:293952}}

Looking East
    {{gwi:293953}}

Looking West
    {{gwi:293954}}

Looking South
    {{gwi:293955}}

Red muck bucket has duck weed, black and yellow box has Black Soldier Fly larvae. Seed starting in the last photo.
    I also winter over gooseberries, raspberries, marionberries,figs,aronias and rosa rugosa inside. They are waiting to be sold in this water tank cold frame.
    {{gwi:293956}}

Don't mingle to long, you have work to do :~)

Eric

• grow-anything
    14 years ago

This is not really a GH, but here is the way it looks today.
    {{gwi:293957}}
    {{gwi:293958}}
    {{gwi:293959}}

• the_pepper_guy
    14 years ago

These pics are from last year, but were taken about this time last year. 90% of what is in the greenhouse is hot peppers. We are in Indiana, so the greenhouse helps us start our peppers early to allow for a decently early harvest.

{{gwi:293960}}

{{gwi:293961}}

{{gwi:293962}}

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pepper Guy's Blog

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

Question for those of you with hoophouses...

How do you heat it? What temp ranges do you keep or aim for?

I started a mini-hoop (4' x 12' x 4' tall) this March...and might be interested in scaling up if all goes well.

Great pics btw....

• grow-anything
    14 years ago

Well that depends on what I have in mine at the time. I have both a heated GH for over wintering plants and a smaller heated GH just for seed starting. Once my seedlings are re-potted they go into the Hoop house which I also use for propagation of stuff during the summer. I have a kerosene heater for the hoop house if I think the temp will go below about 35F. Even if the outside temp goes to 32F the hoop house will stay warmer, and if the temp only drops for a few minutes overnight it won't hurt anything. In my zone I hope the temps won't get too low again.

• trudy_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Poppa..thank for your info. Sounds like you will be eating veggies in no time at all!

Eric...thanks for the photos. I could mingle for a long time in your greenhouse. Do you have vents?

Grow-anything....thanks for you photos. I to have a portable green house like yours but dont have it set up yet. Soon though as I started tomatoes and peppers in the house today.

We are inspecting our 10x12 HFG tonight. There are so many rips and dings in the box that it is really making me nervous. The biggest smash in the box in right next to the panels. So we will see if we keep this one or it will go back to the HF store. If this is the case we will go with something else.

I want a greenhouse up now!!!!
    If only our ground was level and I was more handy with tools!!

Spring fever is upon us, 59 degrees, sun is shinning and spring bulbs are up.

• tominnh
    14 years ago

Have a few things happening right now. Some blooms etc

{{gwi:293963}}{{gwi:293964}}
    {{gwi:293965}}

• tominnh
    14 years ago

{{gwi:293966}}
    {{gwi:293967}}
    {{gwi:293968}}

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

Tom?

Is that a Meyers Lemon? If it is, how is your production. How much fruit can a small bush handle?

This is my Lemon. Covered with flowers and 6" of new growth.

{{gwi:72128}}

{{gwi:72129}}

Eric

• tominnh
    14 years ago

Yes That is a Blood Orange but I do have 3 Meyer Lemons flowering. Hard to say about production because I have had it for less than a year. It has flowers, green fruit and ripe fruit on it at this time...

• tominnh
    14 years ago

{{gwi:293969}}
    {{gwi:293970}}

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

Very nice! To bad they don't have smell-o-vision. Hope to see some of those here this year.

Eric

• tominnh
    14 years ago

You have that right...... The scent is wonderful....!

• huisjen
    14 years ago

{{gwi:289701}}

I need to weed my spinach and make more soil blocks. (Why do I broadcast seed? Stupid, stupid, stupid... ) I also need to dig around the north and east walls (left and far walls) and install the rest of the foundation insulation and rat barrier.

Dan

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

Dan,

Looks good. I real like the frame of your greenhouse.

How about a "I" beam and trolley down the middle. Connect your chair to it, so you can fly around weeding and thinning.

Nice!
    Eric

• trudy_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good one Eric! The swing does look really comfy.
    We got our plastic greenhouse or what ever you call those up last night. Nothing in it yet, still to cold here.

You can almost smell the blossoms in the photos. Love the lemons. What are you going to make with them?

I work as a temp at a local greenhouse in town that sells annuals wholesale. Yesterday I worked in one of the small houses....all day I kept thinking I want my HFG up! Still way to wet in the area. More rain/snow is predicted over the weekend.