Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Pictures of New Hoop Buildings

Here is my versions of a high tunnel. I want to say thanks for everyone who gave me advice. I considered everything that I was told and everything I read. I finished the bigger one two weeks ago and the smaller one last week. I always forget to take pictures!

I know I did a few things different. They are not very long. I was limited on funds and I don't have a very big market to sell at. I didn't want to over produce and have no where to sell it.

The bigger building is 12'2" by 18' 2" It is made out of 1" PVC pipe with a 6 mil covering. The end has two storm windows, love the freecycle sites, the same size as the one you see. I can easily open and close them. I can also remove the glass later in the spring. The corners are set in the ground 18" and there are 1 by 8 side boards. They are not treated. The wood was free, it was in a building when we moved here 5 years ago. I know the sides don't open up, but with the wind on top of this hill and the shortness of the building, I hope it will be ok. Time will tell. I am planting tomatoes and a few bell peppers in it. The tomatoes will be going out this Wednesday.

The smaller one is 8' 6" by 12". It is three cattle panels put together. I built it because I had the three panels sitting and not doing anything. It only cost me $18 for plastic and my time. I am going to grow cucumbers in it this spring. If they get too out of control, I will pull the plastic and let them grow on the cattle panels for an additional trellis. I am planning on starting cucs this week and plant out in 2-3 weeks.

I hope your garden is going great!

{{gwi:30026}}

Here is a picture of my hoop buildings.

Comments (4)

• grower54
    15 years ago

Nice job jr. It won't be long before you decide where to put your next house. It seems like you never have enough greenhouse space. I started with a 4x8 footer 25 years ago and have since sold 2 nurseries with a total of 8 houses. I still never had enough room. Now retired and doing markets out of a 20x125' (should have been 150') Keep that dream alive and good luck. Steve

• hthigbie
    15 years ago

How did you make the ends on the cattle panel house? Also, on our panels there are sharp points, did you just grind those down or what? What kind of air flow have you allowed for? It looks fantastic! Thanks

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hthigbie-

Thanks for asking. The cattle panels do have sharp ends, but I figured out how to cover them. I used 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch black foam pipe insulation. The stuff that you put over water pipes. It is very cheap! You can see it through the plastic on the ends. I had some left over in the basement. I just slid it on, ran some black tape around in in several locations and it was done.

I finished the end by framing the door in. I have the 1x6 on the bottom and then attached the 1 x 4 frame on the inside and and attached it to the panel at the top.

I attached the plastic to the side, stapled and sandwiched between a 1 x4 and the 1x6 and screwed it down.

Then I pulled the plastic around the end and stapled it to the bottom and sandwiched it, like the sides. I did this on both sides of the door.

After that, I cut up to the corners, leaving lots of extra and pulled the plastic through the door and stapled it on the back side. The next step was to sandwich it also, but it makes the end all level when you do this. Now it is easier to attach the door.

About ventilation, I have a storm window on the other end. It is the same size as you can see on the bigger hoop building. I think it is 3 feet by 4 feet. I can leave the screen in or take it out with the glass. The door opens up and it is like a wind tunnel (at least at my house it is!).

I am happy with the way it turned out too! I hope the ends work well. I am pleased with them. It helps to have two hands to pull it tight. I did it by myself, with the help of a 6 year old. Not much help, but she can pick stuff up when I drop it!

If you have any more questions, I would love to answer them!

• trailer_gal
    12 years ago

On the smaller greenhouse, what length cattle panels did you use? How tall is the greenhouse in the middle.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler