Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My High Tunnels, 4 stationary and 2 movable

Posted by jrslick KS/5 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 19, 10 at 23:50

I thought I would share some images of my 6 high tunnels. I love to look at all your ideas and pictures, I thought I would share some of mine. Some are ready to go, others need some work and some are almost finished.

Number 1
Old Reliable High Tunnel #1

Number 2
High Tunnel #2

Number 3

High Tunnel #3

Number 4

Frame of High Tunnel #4

Number 5 Movable Number 1

Mobile #1

Number 6 Movable Number 2

Frame of # 2

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: High Tunnel Link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My High Tunnels, 4 stationary and 2 movable

Looks great,,, what are the sizes of those bad boys? How well do they winter over? Ive been contemplating one here but am concerned high winds or snowfall would do them in.

o
RE: My High Tunnels, 4 stationary and 2 movable

All the big ones are 18 by 40 to 18 by 45. They handle wind really well. I took all those pictures yesterday while the wind was blowing 25-30 with gusts to 35 mph. Last year we had sustained winds of 40-45 for 2 days with gust to 60 and I had minimal problems. I also had many storms blow through with 60-70 mph.

As far as snow, I pulled the plastic last winter. I wasn't planning on using them in the winter. The smallest one, which is 12 by 20, was up all winter if faired well. I just knocked off the snow several times.

I do have a center beam (2 by 4) with two support post inside. I am planning on overwintering them this year. I am going to add another beam on each side with two posts. I am confident that it will work fine. Each support beam costs about $20, it is cheap insurance!

The mobile ones are 16 by 32. They are new this year so I don't know how they will perform.

Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here