Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you grow Jasmine in a greenhouse?

Posted by fruitpip none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 9:35

So, I've always had this idea to have an awesome rose/jasmine garden so i can harvest flowers and rosehips for tea and also because they smell wonderful. I live in Florida so this was very possible, but I just found land I'm in love with in Canada (zone 4a I think?)

I tried google searches and literally found nothing on if you can grow Jasmine in a greenhouse.. My Idea would be to have a small cabin and build a greenhouse on the south side of it, with doors you can open from the house so all the awesome flower smells can get in and so the house keeps the greenhouse a little warm since the weather is insanely cold in Canada (at least the city I want to live in, Miramichi in New Brunswick)..

Has anyone ever grown roses and or jasmine in a green house? How would it get pollinated? There's a purple jasmine plant outside of my house and it's literally ALWAYS covered in bees and butterflies.... I though I could possible just add butterflies to the greenhouse.. and have a magical butterfly garden but since I have cats I figured that might end in a massacre lol.

Thank you for your input! I only grow vegetables and have no experience with flowers :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you grow Jasmine in a greenhouse?

This is only the best out of four different jasmine in my gh (heated to 33 degrees)

o

oh cool! You only heat it to 33?

o

Its a woodstove heated house, none to tight. The back part of the house is used window glass and it is leakier than the twin-wall front part If you scan back on this forum you can find some good photos of what I've done.

o

You might want to post your questions on the Far North Gardening forum where most of the posters are from Canada.

o

I've been growing a jasmine in a large pot in my greenhouse for years. In the winter I provide some minimal heat to my plants in there; the lowest the temp gets inside the GH is about 35F.

o

Sandy, which jasmine is that beautiful plant you showed here? TkY.

o

I don't know. Have a Grand Duke, but its nothing like the vining jasmine in the photo. Have another shrub jasmine that is slender like the one in the photo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here