Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to attach a trellis to the top of a wall

Posted by spirit_level (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 6, 09 at 9:38

Hello

My garden is surrounded by a 7ft high victorian brick wall. I want to attach a 2/3ft trellis to the top of it for both added security and of course covering with lovely climbers!

I am wondering what the best method is to do this? Can I simply attach a baton to the top of the wall and screw the bottom of the trellis to that or will the trellis require support at the sides? - if so how do I attach posts to the top of the wall?

Should I even be attaching anything to the top of this fairly old wall? - might it cause damp problems or create stress which may damage the wall when the plant covered trellis is subjected to high winds etc?

Should I instead be looking at putting long posts into the ground along the wall and attaching the trellis to that?

I have about 80ft of wall to add trellis to and I have a very tight budget so I am really looking for the most cost effective option.

I would add that as long as the trellis is strong enough to support itself, I don't want it be much stronger than that as I want any would be thief to think twice about it collapsing if they try and climb over it!

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to attach a trellis to the top of a wall

Since you say the wall is old I would not want to attach anything to it that will add weight and cause any cracking. A good sturdy trellis that can go into the ground might be bamboo. No would-be thief in his right mind would try to climb a bamboo trellis. On the other hand bamboo might not last very long in the ground. Steel T-Posts are fairly inexpensive and could be used for the side supports and bamboo could be used for cross-bars and make a sturdy trellis that will last for many years. Painted to match the color of the brick, the trellis would disappear as soon as the vines took hold. Cheryl

o
RE: How to attach a trellis to the top of a wall

Thanks for your suggestion Cheryl - I think I would prefer to sterr clear of bamboo and use a wooden trellis though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here