Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spirit_level

How to attach a trellis to the top of a wall

spirit_level
14 years ago

Hello

My garden is surrounded by a 7ft high victorian brick wall. I want to attach a 2/3ft trellis to the top of it for both added security and of course covering with lovely climbers!

I am wondering what the best method is to do this? Can I simply attach a baton to the top of the wall and screw the bottom of the trellis to that or will the trellis require support at the sides? - if so how do I attach posts to the top of the wall?

Should I even be attaching anything to the top of this fairly old wall? - might it cause damp problems or create stress which may damage the wall when the plant covered trellis is subjected to high winds etc?

Should I instead be looking at putting long posts into the ground along the wall and attaching the trellis to that?

I have about 80ft of wall to add trellis to and I have a very tight budget so I am really looking for the most cost effective option.

I would add that as long as the trellis is strong enough to support itself, I don't want it be much stronger than that as I want any would be thief to think twice about it collapsing if they try and climb over it!

thanks

Comments (2)