Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What spacing for tomato plants in a greenhouse?

Posted by advisingelf 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 08 at 10:57

I've had a "garden structure" in mind for a while that I can also use as a greenhouse. I do Square Foot Gardening, so I'm used to planting 1 row of tomatoes at the back of each 4x4 planter, with 1 foot spacing.

If I'm going to plant tomatoes for growing thorugh the winter, what *row* spacing can I get away with without the plants shading each other too much, or is this even an issue.

BTW, I know there are a lot of other greenhouse issues with growing through the winter, but I'm researching those.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What spacing for tomato plants in a greenhouse?

for greenhouse tomatoes, at least in commercial structures, the winter spacing is 20% more than in summer.

o

What's the summer spacing?

Maybe I should clarify my question a little more.

I grow my tomatoes vertically at the back of my 4x4 planter beds, 4 plants in one row, 1 foot space between each. When I go to plant them in the greenhouse, I'll have two 4x16 (or longer) beds, and I want to plant as many rows of tomatoes as I can. What space between the rows can I get away with without them shading each other?

o

With a goal of maximum fruit production per square foot of greenhouse area, many research trials have been conducted comparing different spacings. Having more plants does not necessarily produce more fruit, per area. The optimum for indeterminate greenhouse varieties of tomato is 4 sq. ft. per plant summer, 5 sq. ft in winter. Closer spacings have more plants, but the production is not greater. The reason is shading from overlapping leaves. The plants are usually placed in double rows 14 inches apart, with the plants within the row 16 inches apart. Extra space is allowed for harvesting walkways between the sets of double rows. The actual configuration can vary, as long as the resulting individual plant spacing is 5 sq.ft in winter.

o

Much grass. That is exactly what I need.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here