Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danny2014_gw

outdoor grow lights

Danny2014
9 years ago

Hello. I've been researching my little idea and I just can't figure out if I can do this--maybe someone could tell me I can't or possibly point me in right direction? Here it is: I am trying to grow 3 young fruit trees (lemon, orange, tangerine), each in a cement planter. They've been in the ground a couple years, have grown some, have had blossoms. I think a lot is working against them: we live high (2200') off So Cal coast, get a lot of wind, no freezing but can get cold. What I'd like to do (ideally) is to have a solar powered grow light for each one. Solar because I don't have electrical to planters. And I am hoping that grow lights could run at night and just maybe give them the boost they need to get going. I see there are some very expensive (~$800) units that do this but $2400 is cost prohibitive. I see all kinds of solar pathway lights for less than $100 and I know that you need a certain light spectrum (red-green) to stimulate growth. Is there an easy and inexpensive way to do what I want? Thanks for any shared expertise or thoughts.

Comments (2)