Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edwardq

Saving Our Home

edwardq
13 years ago

Hey all:

I need some creative thinking and experienced people to help me figure out what to do to save our barn conversion home from total loss.

My family and I live in a two level barn conversion. The upper level is one great hall, 116 feet long and forty foot wide---a former hay loft structure built with arches like a quonset hut with wood frames that span an arch of 20 feet high.

The recent snow storms cracked several frames due to snow weight, and now the whole upper level needs to be dismantled and demolished. We need to re-build the upper level completely.

The lower level is finished, however, as living quarters, so the question becomes: What method or temporary stucture could be put in place to keep the upper floor deck dry until we put new frames and roof--most liklely some post and bean structure.

Is there some sort of plastic / water proof tubular structure we can use (with water proof "roof" material) we can put and take down as the re-build progresses?

This is an insurance claim, so we are also looking for a contractor on the re-build team to help us with this temporary need for water-proofing this.

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated?? :) We haven't heard any good ideas yet from some builders who have visited.

Ed

Comments (4)