Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantsaplenty_gw

Assembling HFGH 10x12 Panels to Wide??

plantsaplenty
14 years ago

Hey all you HFGH builders, we have put a 10x12 up this weekend, and now are to the point of installing the panels. But i have an issue. The panels for the walls seem to be too wide. They won't fit without some serious bowing? Anyone got any suggestions, im going back out to doublecheck my work and make sure I haven't overlooked anything obvious.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• mudhouse_gw
    14 years ago

Howdy plantsaplenty, I haven't seen anyone mention this problem before, so something seems not right. Your panels need to fit into the openings on the outside of the greenhouse with a small amount of play, or you won't be able to get the clips in on both sides of the panels, either.

I measured my side panels, so you could check the size of yours (to be sure you didn't receive some odd sized panels, fluke of manufacturing?) Mine are 23" wide, as listed in the back of the manual (well, actually, 22 15/16" wide.)

I'm kinda stumped about why this could be happening, maybe someone else will have an idea?
    Sheri

• knotbored
    14 years ago

I think you might find the frame is (slightly) out of square so the opening is a trapazoid instead of a rectangle. Set a carpenters square in a corner and see if its distorted a little (it doesn't take much.)
    but-BEFORE YOU INSERT THOSE PANELS!
    Reinforce the frame with EMT metal conduit as described several places in this forum and send off to HF for extra clips, and buy some 3/4" sheet metal screws (stainless prefered) and rubber faced washers. Installing these extras before panels is cheap and easy now-very difficult after the panels are up and a windstorm bends all that lovely frame and breaks a few panels. I did this reinforcement at MUDHOUSE insistance and advice and am very glad I did.

• mudhouse_gw
    14 years ago

Hello knotbored, I hope your greenhouse is doing well!

Plantsaplenty, hopefully knotbored is correct, and you will still be able to loosen up some nuts and bolts, and make some adjustments to bring the openings into square. I found the frame did have some "wiggle room" and play, and I could loosen, adjust, and re-tighten bolts. I had to do this at a few points in our construction (especially when I was fitting the roof vents into place in the roof frame.)

This blog shows the reinforcements that knotbored mentioned, and you'll find similar info in many posts, if you do a search in this forum for HFGH 10x12.
    Building our 10x12 Harbor Freight Greenhouse

• knotbored
    14 years ago

I just had one more thought- If you are first installing the front panels adjacent to the door and find them tight-the detail sketch showing that door frame is unclear but acurate-hold that sketch in your hand and face the way the sketch indicates-I first installed the frame backwards and upside down and didn't figure that out until another chatter mentioned it in a question. The horizantal frames will be horizontal when correct frame position is used-not at a diagonal. If I can figure out how to attach pictures I just took a few-oops-couldn't determine how-any hints?

• web4deb
    14 years ago

When I built mine, I kept everything loose. Once you put the panels in, things will square up on their own. If it's not too windy, you may want to just hold in each panel with a couple of clips...then when most of it is together, put in the rest of the clips and tighten all the bolts.

http://web4deb.blogspot.com

Here is a link that might be useful: my HFGH

• plantsaplenty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi All, in addition to the hfgh lesson, I had to figure out how to get back to my own post, as this was my first on gardenweb. (Great community by the way). So, It is up! The issue was the little number stickers were on the wrong panels. I tried to put the 2 front panels on the sides. after trying 2 of them, I decided to try another, and it fit. Figuring out the mistake, I thought I was in business, Get those panels installed in 30 mintues, and enjoy a glass of sweet tea. Well, 3 hours later, i finally got the last of the panel clips in.

I also had a bit of a twist in the whole frame that I couldn't see, but a diagional measurement showed it. I loosened most of the nuts and gave the whole gh a shove, it went square, and the roof panels went right in.

I purchases my gh on Wednesday, Started installation on Saturday, and finished Sunday night. Spare parts kit was a lifesaver, im glad they include it.

Reading the forums, i decided to mount it on 4x4's that works really good, because I wanted to move it forward a few feet, I just put an eyebolt in the front 4x4 and pulled it with the lawnmower, worked like a charm.

Only complaint is the doors, I seen how some people were having issues keeping them closed, well i am having issues opening them. I have adjusted the top and bottom wheels, but they are still very hard to open, thinking of adding grease. More than likely, i will take them off, and build a regular frame and a glass storm door entry.

This week, I hope to get all the pvc conduit ran, lights, possibly trench a line to run some water for a small sink. I am rambling, just typing as it comes to me, but I think I should put weed barrier down first, then the electrical conduit, then probably 1.5 to 1 tons of 1/2" gravel.

One other thing, the automatic roof vent openers, I decided not to get them based on reviews, instead i think i will use some pneumatic cylinders i have laying around.

All said and done, me complaining about having to buy $1.25 tomatoe will cost me about $1000. Got the GH for $480 with raincheck and 20% coupon.

Thanks!

• mudhouse_gw
    14 years ago

Here are two threads that may help you with the doors; both involve info and tweaks that have helped some folks.
    Sticky Doors on the HFGH 10x12
    and
    HFGH door again...

In addition to the clips that come with the kit, I followed the advice of others in this forum, and screwed my poly panels to the aluminum frame, and used extra clips, to prevent panel loss in high winds. You've likely read some of the sad posts on this forum about folks losing their new HF greenhouse. Panel loss is a known problem with these kits, and if panels go, the soft aluminum frame sometimes sustains damage that can't be repaired.

You probably plan to anchor the foundation firmly to the ground, and I think that's critical. You've probably already come across the panel-securing and structural reinforcement info posted here...as well as info about anchoring your foundation...but I wanted to be sure. In my opinion, the HFGH is too much like a giant box kite not to anchor it stoutly.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine! I have a small sink in mine too, and I really love that feature.

• plantsaplenty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Simply Amazing, I put pennies in the upper parts of the door as suggested, now the doors can be opened with 1 finger. Thanks for that tip. Im currently installing the PVC conduit to run electrical.

• knotbored
    14 years ago

I found I needed more support for the header above the door. Site from corner to corner along the header and you will likely see a sag that is forced out when doors are opened. I used a 1" heavy wall rectangular tube bought from a local metal dealer for $18 (for 11' piece.) I think MUDHOUSE used an oak plank to acomplish the same thing.
    Please explain about the penny thing-I haven't head that one?

• mudhouse_gw
    14 years ago

I found I could make my doors slide freely if I could cause Part 34 - at the top of each door - to tilt back very slightly. This can be accomplished by adding some kind of a thin shim at a few places under Part 34. Pennies seem to work, and I used scraps of rubber. This thread has some photos:
    Sticky Doors on the HFGH 10x12

(I need to add this tip to my blog, so it's easier to find, sorry!)

• knotbored
    14 years ago

http://photos.gardenweb.com/garden/galleries/2010/04/inside_my_greenhouse.html
    I think these pictures will post here-otherwise click on the URL.
    These show the EMT 'belly-band' I added about 5 1/2' from the base- height determined by how far down I could put it without distorting the diagonal braces too much. I used conduit clamps to add about 19' to the 10' length along the long wall.
    I also added a EMT band in the roof about 7' high- the short wall height was determined by the piece left from chopping off the short extensions.
    I also added a 1' square tube above the door for header support, doubled up on the number of clips, screwed down eaxh panel and added 3 auto-vent openers.
    I am 100% happy with the greenhouse, and couldn't have done it without advice and inspiration from MUDHOUSE and others.
    NOT BAD FOR A 70yo GEEZER WITH TREMORS AND A FEAR OF LADDERS LOL

• knotbored
    14 years ago

I just got an email ad from HF showing $550 for the 10 X 12- wow I paid a hundred more and thought I got a bargain. I wonder if the 20% coupon could be applied? That would make it almost a bargain to buy a spare for parts if/as the plexiglas deteriorates or a part gets bent in a windstorm.
    Also-I have 3 of the vent openers and so far they work great-I ordered a fourth and a few spares. I have seen none of the failure folks complain about (yet) and just cannot see how anyone can keep up with changing temperatures without them.