Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudgod

Raised Bed Enclosure Questions

mudgod
11 years ago

Hi
I'm a new gardener and tried some tomatoes and peppers in pots last year. Most of the produce was consumed by Squirrels so I want to build a raised bed with an enclosure. I wanted to get criticism on the design before I started actually building it. Any and all advice would be appreciated :)

Area:
I've got a 8'10" x 18' deep area adjacent to a Shed which gets afternoon - evening sun. {{gwi:30504}}

{{gwi:30500}}

The beds will be built with 2x12's and 4x4s at each corner with a grid wire (smaller gap then chicken wire) around the entire enclosure. I can also space the 4x4's to 9,6,12,18 with a small stake thing at the edge of the bed. Would that be better?

I'm planning on making the height of the 4x4's 6' above ground and 2' below (I was told that 1' underground may be enough) with a concrete anchor or alternatively I could construct the corner stakes with 4x4 sunk in to the ground and the frame itself with 2x2's?

{{gwi:30501}}

{{gwi:30502}}

Also in the winter I was wondering if putting a sheet of poly to get an early start would be a good idea. A kind of make-shift cold-frame.

Thanks a bunch for the help. Also any guides on what would work best for a beginner. Planning on trying out Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Spinach and Peppers :)

Comment (1)