Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyfg

my low budget diy gh w/progress pics

KellyFG
18 years ago

thanks to all that replied to my post looking for ideas & advice a few weeks ago. It was very helpful. DH is not done yet, still need to add roof shingles & siding & install the door & paint the interior. Its coming along though.

Here's our material list & cost so far

4 X 4's for base/foundation-$10 (cull cart lumber from lowes)

rocks for floor-free from craigs list

2 x 4's for framing $10 (cull cart from lowes)

plywood-free left over from other projects

6 Andersen double hungs-free they came out of a house DH worked on & were going in the trash

1 Andersen sliding door(2 pieces for roof)-free as as above

the roof shingles were $15-still need to be installed

door-free was our old back door-still needs to be installed

gable vents $9 each

Start

{{gwi:295579}}
more framing

{{gwi:295582}}
With windows & roof

{{gwi:295583}}
Another view

{{gwi:295584}}

what do you think of it so far?

Comments (14)

• bmarley5780
    18 years ago

Very nice....

• doone
    18 years ago

You are soooooo lucky! Too cute.... be sure to show us pics when you are done and decorated with plants and stuff!

• soycandle
    18 years ago

Wow, that is going to be one nice looking greenhouse and will have a lot of charm with those beautiful windows. Keep posting pics, we're always interested in seeing others' dreams coming true!

Lynn

• dreamert
    18 years ago

very very nice................

• gldno1
    18 years ago

Very cottagey and charming. I bet it will be easy to heat too!
    Congratulations.

• keithdp
    18 years ago

Low Budget but not Low Class Nicely Done !!!!!!

• use2bcapecodr
    18 years ago

Oh...my...that is awesome! How lucky you are to have such a handy husband...especially one that can come up with all those "junked" windows!

I can almost picture in my mind how lovely it will be when it's finished and in use.

~Sandy~

• javan
    18 years ago

Wonderful. Thanks for the pics. Jim

• clavero
    18 years ago

Impressive to say the least.

Question: It looks like you have two louvered vents but no "active" exhaust like a controlled fan or such. With that much glass that puppy is gonna get HOT once the sun comes out.

Am I missing something?

• wolflover
    18 years ago

How very, very cute. I love it. You'll be sounding like me now. Every day I tell my DH, "Have I told you today how much I love my greenhouse?" :) He never gets tired of hearing it.

• nathanhurst
    18 years ago

I'm not sure that a fan is worth the effort. With two vents that size at the top there's going to be a rather large chimney effect. Add some adjustable vents around the base and I think a fan could be a completely unneeded.

What is this fascination with complex and expensive electro-mechanical solutions? Stick with autovents and you'll never cook anything.

• KellyFG
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone...here's our theory on vents-all 6 of those large windows can be opened from the top or bottom sash, it does not face the south-we don't have a good south facing area & I'm a newbie gardener so if I can manage to get my novice veggie garden started in it I'll be thrilled. In the winter I may let my chickens hang out in it so they'll be warm.

• sail
    18 years ago

Ok - You have got my idea spot on in putting sliders up on the roof. How to you get them up there? Are you concerned that the water will sit on the wood ledge and rot the frame? How did you integrate this into the roof to make it water tight?

Hopefully that is not too many questions.

You did a great job!

• taho6bvickie
    18 years ago

I love the Gh ! Your hubby did a great job! The windows are fantastic! What a score! I'm envious! My Dh is also a Carpenter and has built me 2 Gh's over the years using recycled windows, mine are the old aluminum framed type.
    I've never had a fan in either of the gh's when it gets too hot inside i just open all of the windows during the day for ventilation and it works like a charm.
    I know you will get many years of enjoyment out of it.
    Now get to planting....

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio