Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
repelling wasps

Posted by rafor (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 15:38

I have wasps or yellow jackets flying around up near the roof in my greenhouse/glasshouse.

Anyone have any good ideas for wasp repellants? I don't want to spray that foam stuff at them as it just falls to the floor. Is there such a thing as those fly things that were around years ago to clear a room of flies that work against wasps and yellow jackets?

All I can seem to find are products that attract them and trap them. I don't really want to attract them!

TIA for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: repelling wasps

You don't have to spray. You can make a wasp trap. First though check around the greenhouse for a nest. If you get rid of the nest you'll get rid of the wasps.

To build a trap. Cut the top of a pop bottle just after where it flares out. Smear some jam on the spout and fill the bottle half full of water with a few drops of dish soap to break the surface of the water. Invert it into the bottle like a funnel and put a couple of strips of tape to hold the funnel onto the bottle and put it in your greenhouse.

The wasps will fly in after the jam and fall into the water and drown. Check the trap every day and empty out any dead wasps so others can't use the dead bodies as a launching pad

o
RE: repelling wasps

I've had excellent luck just using a 'fake wasp's nest' hanging in the front of my greenhouse so that it can be 'seen' from outside. For two years now, after making sure that there weren't any REAL wasp's nests getting started in a hidden corner inside my greenhouse, hanging up the 'fake wasp's nest' has kept my greenhouse 100% wasp free !!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fake Wasp's Nest

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here