Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Removable greenhouse (pics, pics ----)

I designed/built a removable lean-to greenhouse to gain may be more than a month's growing time in Zone 6/7.

Because I don't have the room, the greenhouse will be in the same space as the final patch, so it has to be removable once the plant get to be may be 30" tall.

The panels are 4mm UV poly.

All the panels are held together with Velcro and clear packing tape, so it takes less then ten minutes to disassemble, and the three support frames are secured with only 6 screws; that will take less then 10 minute to remove also.

The plants are already in the ground (4/1) a few days ago permanently. I will be removing the GH maybe 5/15. There is enough room to remove the GH without damaging the plants. I may put the whole thing back at the end of the season to grow some salad greens for the fall/winter season

The past few days of freezing weather were no problem at all.

dcarch

Vent fan and heater controlled by thermostat

{{gwi:295979}}

{{gwi:288420}}

{{gwi:295980}}

{{gwi:295982}}

{{gwi:295983}}

{{gwi:295984}}

Comments (15)

• nathanhurst
    17 years ago

Very nice!

Now if it were a bit taller and longer it could cover your window and let in warm air in winter through the window.

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    17 years ago

What's the cfm of the vent fan and where does makeup air come from? The only problem I see is that this can heat up quickly and it looks very tight. Do you plan to remove a panel during sunny days?

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"What's the cfm of the vent fan and where does makeup air come from? The only problem I see is that this can heat up quickly and it looks very tight. Do you plan to remove a panel during sunny days? "

I see that you have some experience with GHs.
    Indeed the thing heats up quickly. I ordered an extra fan just in case.

There is a vent port on the opposit end for cross ventilation.

All the front panels are easily operable because they are just hinged using tape and held by Velcro.

dcarch

• red_sea_me
    17 years ago

nice, quick set up dcarch, it is always interesting to see what MacGyver inspired structures people come up with. Great job.

Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, red_sea_me.

It survived a blinding rain storm yesterday with wind gusts over 40 m/hr.

Plants survived a weeks freezing weather.

:-)
    dcarch

• conifers
    17 years ago

Whtd'itcostyou?assuming thepanelsarepart of another pagckhae?

Thansk!

Original Author
    17 years ago

1. 5 x $45 for poly-panels. $225
    2. Clear packing tape $3.00?
    3. Velcro $5.00?
    4. Miscellaneous hardware $5.00?
    5. Thermostat from eBay $11.00
    6. Fan (Salvaged from a computer) $0.00 (about $10.00 on eBay).

Not counting raised bed, which I had from before.

dcarch

• conifers
    17 years ago

225 bucks. Sweet.

I love it. You should go into business!

Dax

Original Author
    17 years ago

Survived another Nor'easter storm with 50 miles/hr gusts.

dcarch

Original Author
    16 years ago

Making wonderful progress. Many blossoms forming on plants. Not bad at all for Z6/7 NY!
    Hope to remove the greenhouse in the next one or two weeks. Depending on long range forcast.

dcarch :-)
    {{gwi:295985}}

{{gwi:295986}}

• naturalstuff
    16 years ago

OMG, I'm jealous. I have to show my parents these pics. They live in Westchester, me in CT and May 1st the plants are not even 1 foot yet. Meanwhile you have blossoms? Wow

Original Author
    16 years ago

Seeds were started 2/11
    Seedlings in ground 4/1
    Pictures taken 5/1.
    Becasue the concept is working well so far, next year I will try starting seeds 1/11

dcarch

• drywall_diy_guy
    16 years ago

My Father-in-law and I just finished a raised bed greenhouse.
    We live in cold clay soil that does not warm til mid June but the daytime temps are quite warm as early as late April. So we insulated the bed from the cold with 2" of dense foam and placed 18" of clay soil over the top. Then we put up 4x4's up to about 4 1/2 feet above the top of the soil and built a frame. Temporary plastic goes over the frame and a door is built in the side to open as needed. It works! The greenhouse heats up even on cloudy days and the soil is warmed greatly! I have melons and pumpkins starting to get second leaves - unheard of around here! Actually, melons are normally an impossibility in this cold clay soil. The plastic will come off in early June and will probably mulch with straw around the outside to help hold water.

A picture is shown at http://wayneofthewoods.com/greenh8.jpg

The steps used for building this are at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenhouse Plans

Original Author
    16 years ago

I guess no more frost. So I took down the greenhouse.
    The whole thing took about 7 minutes to remove.
    I will be putting it back at the end of the season to grow some salad greens, or may be some cold tolerent tomatoes.

I really enjoyed this project. No transplanting, No fear of frost, couple of months early. Most of the plants are starting to blossom.
    It's great to overcome what mother nature dictates

Here is the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzDqDBw_F54

All the parts for the greenhouse.

{{gwi:295987}}

Right after the GH is removed.
    {{gwi:295989}}

dcarch

• tracywag
    16 years ago

I'm glad it turned out so well for you. I appreciate you taking the time to share the project and the process. A lot of time we never hear about the end results.

I have a temporary greenhouse over a raised bed in Zone5 NY. I will probably leave it up a little longer, I'm thinking June. I'll look forward to see what you manage in the fall this year.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES