Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljpother

leaking planting trays

ljpother
14 years ago

I'm running out of planting trays that don't leak. I have a number of trays with small leaks -- damaged corners. Is there a way to line the trays cheaply and easily? I like to water from the bottom.

Thanks

Comments (4)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

My corners ding too. I use white garbage bags for the light reflection. Last longer with daisy trays underneath - I get mine from the local retail nursery.

Dan

• elctj
    14 years ago

I put masking or duct tape on the outside corners of all my trays. It reinforces them against all the bumping they take when moving them around and it makes them last much longer. And if they are too far gone I take a lawn size garbage bag and cut it into pieces around 4" wider and longer than the tray use it as an inside liner.
    EJ

• ljpother
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks,

I have a supply of garbage bags from collecting leaves. They probably have holes in them. I might have to break down and use new ones.

I've been doubling up my trays, putting a good one inside a damaged one. Stopping the leaks effectively doubles my supply. I've been carting trays and inserts around for years and finally started using them last year and this. It's amazing how quickly you run out of space and the trays and inserts deteriorate once you have a purpose for them.

Next year I may have to do some bulk buying of supplies. I don't see how anyone can afford to buy the stuff retail.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

lipother:

If you can find another gardener or 2 in your area a good place to buy trays and inserts is T+T seeds. The more you buy the cheaper per pot or tray they are. My neighbor--a gardener who also has a greenhouse-- and I split the cost and one of us does the ordering when we need things.

Unlike you I prefer trays with holes. I have an underbed storage box that I got cheap because it was missing a lid. I set tray and all in the box to bottom water. I never did count how many trays it holds but quite a few. It sits under my bench for easy access and gets taken out and washed with the hose occasuonally so baddies don't build up.

I also go around to places where they have plants brought in. I ask if they will save things for me. Usually I go when they are dismantling things and you'd be surprised at the planting pots and trays I get. I get my non gardening friends to save theirs too and pick them up as soon as they call, so they'll save them for me again.