Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greenhouse Retailer

Posted by QBRN 7b East TN (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 18:13

Ok, I'm taking the plunge and buying a GH. I'm going for the Riga. Has anyone done business with Mt. Shasta General Store, Greenhouse Mega Store, Greenhouse Outlet or 4 Seasons? Prices are comparable, but I'm leary of buying this on the net. Or does anyone have a recommendation where to buy one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greenhouse Retailer

I have only heard of those companies when I did an internet search on pricing of the Rigas. I was including any "special" offers they included. All seemed to offer free shipping but I think Greenhouse Megastore offered a bonus with purchase, ie a sunshade or something like that.

I know someone mentioned Wayfair and Greenhouse Megastore in the previous posts on Riga. You should also see if any of the retailers will price match or discount. I thought I read in one post that Greenhouse Megastore does.

Good luck and if you get one, would love to see your "build" pics as you put it together and your feedback on how the process went.

o

BJ's wholesale club sells Riga and they include shelves and base in price.

o

Also look at Costco, which is where I bought my greenhouse. They don't have Riga, but they do have comparable ones, and the prices plus the Costco return policy make for an attractive deal.

One other thing, there is another gardening forum which has a feature called GardenWatchdog, which includes reviews by folks like us of 1000's of online nurseries, but it also lists several greenhouse suppliers, including Greenhouse Mega Store (which gets many positive reviews). You might want to read through those. I can't mention the web site by name because GardenWeb blocks it for some strange reason, but it is very reliable. If you Google the name gardenwatchdog, you'll find it.

o

Yes, I bought my Riga from Mt. Shasta. They were great, with no problems whatsoever.

If you do have any issues with your Riga, you will be referred directly to the importer, Exaco. So in a sense you are really doing business with them more than the retailer. I've been in touch with Exaco several times and they offer excellent customer service.

Let us know what you get! Nothing is more fun that seeing a new greenhouse being built, especially when we get to sit comfortably at home and admire the fruits of all your hard work. :)

o

I can vouch for Exaco, also. I got my Belgian greenhouse from them via Costco. There was a slight problem involving damage to one of the packages that occurred in transit, and they were speedy in resolving the matter.

o

I made the mistake of delaying the purchase while I checked out retailers. Love the garden watchdog site. My DH has gotten too involved (is that really possible) and has decided he can do this for less. It will be next year before its built. I'm off on a travel assignment and will be working up plans for the GH. I'm taking Shane Smith with me :) Thanks for all the input. This is the best site I've ever stumbled across.

o

That sounds like an exciting outcome too!
Too bad you have to wait a year, but I think you could end up with something really cool. Keep us posted for sure!

o

7deuce says: "BJ's wholesale club sells Riga and they include shelves and base in price".

I have to admit I was skeptical that all of that would be included in that pricing so I contacted them. Here is what they replied:
The items included on this greenhouse are:
Anodized Aluminum Base
Aluminum Frame
10mm and 8mm Twin-Wall Polycarbonate Panels
2 roof windows
automatic window opener
1 oversize back wall window
1 large Dutch-style barn door
14" wide top shelf
25" wide bottom shelf

This by far is the LOWEST I've seen for a Riga Greenhouse and far out beats any pricing by other sites so far. I did all the options included and then did an apples to apples comparison and BJ's certainly did beat the competitors.
Thanks for posting.

I've searched and searched and my husband too thought he could do it for less. It is a big investment as these greenhouses are NOT cheap. You really need to weigh your actual usage vs having a nice toy to play with.
Good luck with whatever you build. I'm sure it will be a great project.

Julia

o

QBRN-
I'm very handy, having done remodels for 30-some years, and also spent a lot of time researching and debating with myself whether to build my own greenhouse or simply buy one that I could just assemble. I was about ready to buy materials when I saw a deal on a high quality greenhouse at Costco and decided to go with that, instead. It's a decision I've never regretted. I figure it would have taken the better part of a summer building the quality and complexity of greenhouse I was thinking of. Instead, I spent a week digging and pouring a concrete foundation, and two days erecting my greenhouse...and that meant I could start using it immediately, rather than waiting so long. In addition, the greenhouse I was going to build would have been constructed out of wood, whereas my kit greenhouse is powder-coated aluminum which looks good as new 5 years and does not leak. I believe that, if I would have built my own, I would have maintenance and possible mold problems by now. Yes, your husband can possibly build it more cheaply -- if he counts all of his time as having no value -- but I encourage you to give him a hard time on this decision.

o

I've been a lurker but figured it was time to speak up and help answer a question. I purchased my last greenhouse from Greenhouse Outlet. I ordered a hobby grower over the interwebs so I didn't talk to anyone but it arrived quick. That's all I can offer. I do remember they carried a ton of models.

o

My first and last experience with greenhouse megastore was not pleasant. My experience still sits in with the claims department of American Express. Waiting for the outcome. I will forever purchase large items like this from now on from Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, etc... who truly have always given me no hassle on returns and are always close by and easy to return to.

o

I had a disappointing experience with Gothic Arch. I ordered a Shaefer fan, which was unbalanced and wobbly. The packaging was in rough shape, which I stupidly relayed to the GA owner. He totally blew me off and said to take it up with UPS. No help at all. I ended up talking with someone at Shaefer, who replaced the blade, even though they tested all of them before shipping.

Charlotte

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here