Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qbrn_gw

Greenhouse Retailer

QBRN
12 years ago

Ok, I'm taking the plunge and buying a GH. I'm going for the Riga. Has anyone done business with Mt. Shasta General Store, Greenhouse Mega Store, Greenhouse Outlet or 4 Seasons? Prices are comparable, but I'm leary of buying this on the net. Or does anyone have a recommendation where to buy one.

Comments (13)

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

I have only heard of those companies when I did an internet search on pricing of the Rigas. I was including any "special" offers they included. All seemed to offer free shipping but I think Greenhouse Megastore offered a bonus with purchase, ie a sunshade or something like that.

I know someone mentioned Wayfair and Greenhouse Megastore in the previous posts on Riga. You should also see if any of the retailers will price match or discount. I thought I read in one post that Greenhouse Megastore does.

Good luck and if you get one, would love to see your "build" pics as you put it together and your feedback on how the process went.

• 7deuce
    11 years ago

BJ's wholesale club sells Riga and they include shelves and base in price.

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

Also look at Costco, which is where I bought my greenhouse. They don't have Riga, but they do have comparable ones, and the prices plus the Costco return policy make for an attractive deal.

One other thing, there is another gardening forum which has a feature called GardenWatchdog, which includes reviews by folks like us of 1000's of online nurseries, but it also lists several greenhouse suppliers, including Greenhouse Mega Store (which gets many positive reviews). You might want to read through those. I can't mention the web site by name because GardenWeb blocks it for some strange reason, but it is very reliable. If you Google the name gardenwatchdog, you'll find it.

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

Yes, I bought my Riga from Mt. Shasta. They were great, with no problems whatsoever.

If you do have any issues with your Riga, you will be referred directly to the importer, Exaco. So in a sense you are really doing business with them more than the retailer. I've been in touch with Exaco several times and they offer excellent customer service.

Let us know what you get! Nothing is more fun that seeing a new greenhouse being built, especially when we get to sit comfortably at home and admire the fruits of all your hard work. :)

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

I can vouch for Exaco, also. I got my Belgian greenhouse from them via Costco. There was a slight problem involving damage to one of the packages that occurred in transit, and they were speedy in resolving the matter.

• QBRN
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I made the mistake of delaying the purchase while I checked out retailers. Love the garden watchdog site. My DH has gotten too involved (is that really possible) and has decided he can do this for less. It will be next year before its built. I'm off on a travel assignment and will be working up plans for the GH. I'm taking Shane Smith with me :) Thanks for all the input. This is the best site I've ever stumbled across.

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

That sounds like an exciting outcome too!
    Too bad you have to wait a year, but I think you could end up with something really cool. Keep us posted for sure!

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

7deuce says: "BJ's wholesale club sells Riga and they include shelves and base in price".

I have to admit I was skeptical that all of that would be included in that pricing so I contacted them. Here is what they replied:
    The items included on this greenhouse are:
    Anodized Aluminum Base
    Aluminum Frame
    10mm and 8mm Twin-Wall Polycarbonate Panels
    2 roof windows
    automatic window opener
    1 oversize back wall window
    1 large Dutch-style barn door
    14" wide top shelf
    25" wide bottom shelf

This by far is the LOWEST I've seen for a Riga Greenhouse and far out beats any pricing by other sites so far. I did all the options included and then did an apples to apples comparison and BJ's certainly did beat the competitors.
    Thanks for posting.

I've searched and searched and my husband too thought he could do it for less. It is a big investment as these greenhouses are NOT cheap. You really need to weigh your actual usage vs having a nice toy to play with.
    Good luck with whatever you build. I'm sure it will be a great project.

Julia

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

QBRN-
    I'm very handy, having done remodels for 30-some years, and also spent a lot of time researching and debating with myself whether to build my own greenhouse or simply buy one that I could just assemble. I was about ready to buy materials when I saw a deal on a high quality greenhouse at Costco and decided to go with that, instead. It's a decision I've never regretted. I figure it would have taken the better part of a summer building the quality and complexity of greenhouse I was thinking of. Instead, I spent a week digging and pouring a concrete foundation, and two days erecting my greenhouse...and that meant I could start using it immediately, rather than waiting so long. In addition, the greenhouse I was going to build would have been constructed out of wood, whereas my kit greenhouse is powder-coated aluminum which looks good as new 5 years and does not leak. I believe that, if I would have built my own, I would have maintenance and possible mold problems by now. Yes, your husband can possibly build it more cheaply -- if he counts all of his time as having no value -- but I encourage you to give him a hard time on this decision.

• Doteman
    11 years ago

I've been a lurker but figured it was time to speak up and help answer a question. I purchased my last greenhouse from Greenhouse Outlet. I ordered a hobby grower over the interwebs so I didn't talk to anyone but it arrived quick. That's all I can offer. I do remember they carried a ton of models.

• Elaine1015
    10 years ago

My first and last experience with greenhouse megastore was not pleasant. My experience still sits in with the claims department of American Express. Waiting for the outcome. I will forever purchase large items like this from now on from Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, etc... who truly have always given me no hassle on returns and are always close by and easy to return to.

• charlottequilts
    10 years ago

I had a disappointing experience with Gothic Arch. I ordered a Shaefer fan, which was unbalanced and wobbly. The packaging was in rough shape, which I stupidly relayed to the GA owner. He totally blew me off and said to take it up with UPS. No help at all. I ended up talking with someone at Shaefer, who replaced the blade, even though they tested all of them before shipping.

Charlotte

• banshee4u
    8 years ago

Consider this a CONSUMER ALERT! I believe it is important to put this information
    out onto the internet on any consumer site for those who may be considering the
    purchase any greenhouse. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT do business with the Green
    House Mega Store / International Greenhouse Company or any of its affiliates. If
    anyone has posted any positive reviews on this company they are friends, family
    members or employees or they have never bought a greenhouse from them.

These are my main complaints; the product I purchased was a
    hobby greenhouse for my wife, the reviews, price and information about this
    greenhouse made it appealing. The greenhouse arrived in two separate packages,
    one contained the plastic panes the other had the aluminum pieces for the
    frame. They use a strange plastic boxing material, the one that contained the
    aluminum was shredded when it arrived. My wife and I opened the package and
    found most of the aluminum was fine however some of the pieces we dented on the
    ends and some had other minor damage I corrected/fixed with a rubber mallet.

We proceeded to put the greenhouse together which from the
    onset we recognized it was a piece of junk, very flimsy, poorly manufactured
    and not what was represented in the advertising, and the direction stink. Half
    way through constructing this junk we decided we should return it for a refund
    and consider a different greenhouse…this is when all of my problems started
    with this company.

I contacted the Customer Service department to see if they
    would send UPS to pick the greenhouse up for a return and a refund, eventually
    after much frustration I was put in contact with Sam George who is somehow
    related to David George the President of this company. Sam was not very
    responsive when I first tried to contact him and he did eventually answered my
    emails. After I described my experience
    and disappointment with their product and that I wanted to return it, he
    explained I would have to pay for shipping the merchandise back and pay a 15%
    restocking fee which he reduced to 10% after my objections to their absurd policies
    (he thought this was a kind gesture)…in one email Sam instead of trying to work
    with me suggested I keep the greenhouse because the cost of returning it would
    be too expensive…WHAT?! Basically he believed by making it difficult for me to
    return the item that I would just keep it because of the hassle. Sam further stated that once a package is
    opened then returned to them they charge a restocking fee, I tried to explain
    to him one of the packages was shredded, unusable to return any items, and I
    further stated how can any consumer decide if a product is usable, damaged or a
    decent product without opening the package?

Any consumer is immediately put at a disadvantage when they
    order any product from this company, any consumer would have to refuse the
    package when delivered by UPS at the point of delivery and never open it to
    have any chance of getting a full refund and not paying any shipping fees. I
    believe the company intentionally makes this process difficult so you are stuck
    with their merchandise whether you like it or not. I believe they have
    deceptive and unfriendly policies which are not geared to help a dissatisfied
    customer and are only concerned with making any margins/profit at any cost to
    the consumer. Not only did I pay for shipping, this company will make money
    from the 10% restocking fee, then they will repackage it and sell it to some
    other uninformed consumer, this is a win situation for this company while the
    consumer is taken advantage of at a huge cost to the consumer.

Because of where I live I buy most things over the internet,
    I have literally spent thousands of dollars buying anything you could imagine,
    some things so large they had to be crated. I can honestly say I have NEVER
    been treated so poorly by any company when I needed to return an item, in fact
    I have never had to pay for shipping any item back or was ever charged a
    restocking fee. Every company I have dealt with has been respectful and did
    everything they could do to make sure they could correct any issues I might
    have had, and understood I would always be a loyal customer because of good
    customer service. Conversely this company is the opposite of anything I have
    ever experienced.

READ their supposed “NO-HASSLE” return policy, I find it
    ironic this company has the nerve to post on their website a “NO-HASSLE” return
    policy. Their “NO-HASSLE” return policy cost me hours of aggravation, hours of
    my time packaging and driving to a UPS shipping depot, $136 to ship the merchandise
    back and a 10% restocking fee – As a side note to shipping this piece of junk
    merchandise back, the shipping outlet charged us extra because the shipping
    material I was able to reuse for one of the packages was determined as insufficient
    packaging material - I worked for UPS for 10 years and I agree the material is
    not good. This company operates on deceptive unethical principles and policies
    and will do nothing for a dissatisfied consumer and in fact does everything
    possible not to help a consumer. STAY AWAY from this company, we reordered a
    different greenhouse from a different manufacturer and company, the greenhouse
    was more expensive however the quality does not compare to the junk this
    unethical company is pedaling. I actually called the new/different company I
    bought the new greenhouse from before I ordered it, what a difference in
    customer service! They were so kind and helpful, and after I explained this dilemma
    with the Greenhouse Mega Store they even discounted my purchase! These unscrupulous people who run this
    company should spend a month of training with this other store to learn the
    value of customer service and try to acquire some usable people skills. If you still do any business with the Green
    House Mega Store / International Greenhouse Company or any of its affiliates
    after reading this then it’s on you because you have been fairly warned.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor