Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
heating stone

Posted by marullo pa (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 21:17

I just built a small 8 by 8 cedar greenhouse. bought an oil filled radiant heater which I plan to place on the floor with a few foundation type stones around it(not too close but close enough to absorb some heat). I figured that the heat absorbed by the stone would slowly release through a cold evening. (isn't that how they heated a bed a couple hundred years ago...hot bricks?)
anyone tried this or think I'm nuts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: heating stone

I don't think putting the stone near you heater won't do much to heat it at night and it might make your greenhouse too hot in the daytime. Putting stones or bricks where they will absorb the suns heat during the day will. I watched a show where they had their greenhouse attached to their stone house and they said they didn't have to heat much because the stone absorbed heat in the daytime and released it at night.

Cement slabs or stone on the floor will help. This is my opinion. Others may say different

o

This thread is useless without pics. Post pics of your cedar greenhouse. Did you build it from your own plans, from a kit, or with purchased plans? I built a greenhouse with a stone foundation and a stone floor b/c (1) I love stone and (2) I thought the stone would radiate heat at night. I have no way of knowing how much of this is going on. I thought that having a big water container painted black was the best way to create a heat bank.

Here is the foundation and floor before I built the rest of the greenhouse:

o

If you want to heat it when its cold then fire up the stove at night-if you don't want to overheat it then shut stove off in daytime.
The stone or water barels moderate temperature, they can't majicly produce heat. I have a large (huge actually) stone wall behing my woodstove and it does warm through the night when a fire is last stoked with wood at about 9PM. The room would be chilled withing 3 hours without that stone absorbing surplus heat.

o

@ Sethky

I was curious if you had any other photos of your greenhouse finished. i am doing a proposal for our community garden and want to use a stone foundation...would love to see the finished product. Cheers from Canada!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here