Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
consultant_gw

Bubblewrap

consultant
19 years ago

Do you need to use special "greenhouse" bubblewrap or can regular stuff be used to insulate a greenhouse?

Stuart

Comments (17)

• sanitycheck
    19 years ago

I ordered mine from Charlies. I still cant belive the difference. Last winter we spent over $600 to heat my greenhouse, this winter just under $300. I would say that the winters were pretty similar.

• junkmanme
    19 years ago

I'm going to try the "regular, SHIPPING bubble-wrap (large)" in-between layers of poly-film on my "hoophouse" this Summer and next Winter.....Will have some idea of the success this time next year.

I will spray all layers with an expensive liquid UV protectant that I purchased last year. The interior poly-film layer will be 4 mil CHEAP Walmart plastic. The exterior layer of poly-film will be a UV protected "greenhouse film" (4-year guarantee) that was purchased from a greenhouse supply firm on the Internet.

I also plan to heat it this coming Winter with a homemade woodstove.

We shall see if these "improvements" are worthwhile endeavors.

-Junkmanme-

• banders
    18 years ago

Can someone explain more about how the bubble wrap is used?

Thanks,
    Barbara

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    18 years ago

I used Charlies bubble wrap on my glass greenhouse this year. I compared the bubblewrap used for packing and they were not comparable at all. From Charlie I bought the spray adhesive and sprayed areas of the glass and just pushed the bubblewrap against the glass. It worked fine and does defuse the light some but does not greatly reduce the amount of light. Al

• tdev_riverbend
    18 years ago

You should also try FarmTek.com -- they are MUCH cheaper.

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

A few months ago I did a cost comparison of bubble wrap vs. a solar pool cover. I found the solar pool cover to be cheaper per square foot. Also thicker and more durable. It also is easier to handle as it is one solid piece as opposed to several strips.
    Pictures of my cover can be seen on 'My page'.
    I bought two cover's 20x40 and one 18x32. One from America's Best Pool Supply and two from Amerimec. America's best was the cheapest.
    Be sure you get the Magni clear cover and 'NOT BLUE'.

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

A few months ago I did a cost comparison of bubble wrap vs. a solar pool cover. I found the solar pool cover to be cheaper per square foot. Also thicker and more durable. It also is easier to handle as it is one solid piece as opposed to several strips.
    Pictures of my cover can be seen on 'My page'.
    I bought two cover's 20x40 and one 18x32. One from America's Best Pool Supply and two from Amerimec. America's best was the cheapest.
    Be sure you get the Magni clear cover and 'NOT BLUE'.

• Vamptoo
    18 years ago

I will confirm cactusfreaks comparison. I bought a 12 x 20 clear solar pool cover for my HF. It made all the difference in the world. Kept the greenhouse at 55 degrees all winter and only jumped my electric bill $30 a month. Even my hubby can live with that. It was easy to put on and remove. I just took it off a couple of weeks ago and it rolled back up nicely and went back in the bag it came in to be stored until this winter. I thought the best part was being able to put it on the outside instead of having to remove everything from the greenhouse to put it on the inside and then reverse the whole operation come spring.

Cindy

• sandysgardens
    18 years ago

Cindy
    Do you have any pics of your HF in it's bubble wrap. I am toying with the idea of trying to use my HF this winter. Actually this is my first year with my HF and so far I am loving it.

If anyone has pics of their greenhouse all wrapped in bubble I would appreciate seeing them.

Thanks
    Sandy

• citrus_master
    18 years ago

Is there a way to just put bubble wrap or a solar pool cover over my greenhouse just for the winter.

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

Yes, we just use it in the winter and take it off in the spring.
    Mine doesn't completely cover mine. I bought 2 30x40's for the top and one 16x32 for one of the end walls.
    {{gwi:292776}}
    {{gwi:296599}}

• citrus_master
    18 years ago

Also do you use a solar pool cover or bubble wrap. Which one keeps in more heat?

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

I use a solar pool cover. It's called Magni-clear. It is probally twice the thickness of regular bubble wrap and much more durable. The solar pool cover would keep in the most heat in my opinion.

• citrus_master
    18 years ago

Whats a good place for bubble wrap besides farmtek.

• hairmetal4ever
    18 years ago

Does it really make THAT much difference?

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

Are you asking about the bubble wrap or solar cover?
    There is a difference between regular shipping bubble wrap and greenhouse bubble wrap. Greenhouse bubble wrap is thicker and uv resistant.
    The solar cover is uv treated, thicker and all in one piece.
    Also in cost comparison the solar cover is actually cheaper per square ft.
    Without solar cover I spent approximately $100. a week. For a 32x37 all single layer glass greenhouse using a Modine LP 200,000 BTU heater.
    WITH solar cover I spent $100. PER MONTH using 3 - 1500 watt space heaters and temperatures between 45 and 47.

• DgreenR
    18 years ago

Cactusfreak,

What kind of gas do you use for your heater? I'm probably going to have to use propane for my 8.5ft x 12.5ft GH. Can you or anyone else tell me if that is safe for me and my plants? I heard the burning of some kind of gas will make the buds of orchids and other plants fall of.

Also, does the clear pool cover transmit as much light as the GH bubble wrap?

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!