Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I have to seal pressure treated wood planter boxes?

Posted by cindyr_napa 94558 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 21:33

My friend is putting together some wooden planter raised bed boxes for vegetables. The wood is pressure treated and he thinks the wood has to be painted to seal out copper and arsenic. I can't recall ever seeing painted raised beds. Seems to me they are usually bare wood, but I don't know if they're pressure treated. So - should the wood be painted? If so, can it just be primed on the insides? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I have to seal pressure treated wood planter boxes?

pressure treated wood is normally NOT used for edible plantings because it can leach toxins....

I do not know if paint or sealer will be enough protection. Sorry.

o

As a home builder I use a significant quantity of PT wood. New chemical formulations have supposedly reduced the toxicity and possibly the performance of the treated wood products we buy. The old PT presented health risks either from burning or breathing the saw dust, not to mention handling because of the arsenic content.

I've asked the manufacturers about the safety of using PT for vegetable gardening and have not received a very "thumb's up" response and have concluded it's probably not safe. I'll be building a raised bed garden with something other than PT.

Mark

o

you can try using Lifetime Wood Treatment (link below) as a non-toxic preservative on non-treated wood. I found mine at a local paint store, or you can order it online.

Will it last as long as PT? Probably not - but it might make it last long enough, especially if you are using some thicker lumber to start with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lifetime Wood Treatment

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 22:13

Painting the insides is not going to prevent leaching of chemicals. It's correct that PT wood uses less toxic chemicals, but I still would not use them in raised beds. I recently made some raised beds. For one set I used untreated cedar, and for another I used Trex-type synthetic lumber. If your friend has already constructed these beds and is intent on using them, then he should at least would lay down some heavy gauge visqueen all along the interior perimeter to lessen migration of chemicals.

o

I lined the insides of my pressure treated raised beds with 2 layers of poly stapled to the inside.

o

This is a good article. The PTW now on the market is not CCA, so arsenic is not an issue. The ACQ will require the coated (usually green) screws to prevent corrosion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Does Pressure-Treated Wood Belong in Your Garden?

o

Good point Cowgirl. PT lumber corrodes fasteners, including Simpson hardware. Some years back they developed a zinc coated product to withstand corrosion. Codes now require that fastener product. I use approved hardware when in contact with PT on all of my projects.

Mark

o

I wonder if plastic 2 X 6 decking would be more suitable for raised beds. I know of a store that sells "mill ends" of short pieces by the pallet pretty cheap- most pieces are 4' long and seams could be stagered to make sturdy walls.

o

Since Trex, etc. is not t&g, you'd have no way to stabilize joints broken at random intervals, unless you did some cleating, tying pieces above and below joint together. You'd risk a "blow out, d.o. pressure, of course.

Mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here