Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bubble Wrap as Insulation

Posted by cmpman1974 Zone 6 MI (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 21, 06 at 23:02

This may seem like a dumb question, but I can't find the answer. If I am trying to insulate a Springhouse Flowerhouse 6' x 6' x 7' ft greenhouse made of polyethylene gro-tec material with bubble wrap, how do you attach the bubble wrap? Does it go on the inside or outside? Shipping tape does not work well because the moisture makes it fall off. I don't know what, or how, could be used to make it secure.

I am trying to add another layer of insulation to cut down on heating costs. I would be using 24" wide 5/16" bubble wrap.

Any advice would be appreciated as soon as possible!

Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bubble Wrap as Insulation

Here is a link to what you need.
These are fast easy and inexpensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insulation clips

o

Or you can do like many of like many of us here and throw a clear, solar pool cover over your greenhouse in the winter. I put one on my 10x16 glass house this winter and it worked very well as extra insulation. I took it off a couple weeks ago.
The Ultra Therm covers are clear, from Americas Best Pool Supply.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ultra Therm Pool Covers

o

I'm in the process of insulating my new GH now. I put 3/4"
polystyrene on the north wall and half way up the east and west sides. The rest of the walls and roof will be bubble warp. Do a search on this forum and read how many say they would not buy the pool cover again. Not only is it hard to put on and remove but high wind will remove it for you. No such issues with the insulation on the inside. The two foot wide is easy enough that a woman can put it up
A pool cover would be a bear to put on my GH with the 10 foot roof.

o

foil backed PS is considerably better than plain, for a number of reasons: a) aluminium is a good reflector of IR and thus a poor emitter b) the foil stops water moving through the foam, which reduces the insulation values. Painting or cement-acrylic rendering the foam will have the same effect as b).

3/4" has a US R-value of about 4.2 compared to glass/PC/PE with R of 1. I would double that thickness to 1.5" if I could afford it. Bubble wrap has an R-value of about 2, but you get some light through it.

o

: nathanhurst The Polystyrene that I installed has foil on both sides I considered thicker but cost was double and r value only increased a small amount didn't seem like it was worth it. I will only be heating a couple months a year start plants from seed in the spring about 9 months a year the GH will sit empty

o

I'm using reflectex insulation on my north wall...I like it.

I attached it to the panels with double sided tape as I was installing them. Seems to work well. But I was rushed last fall so I didn't insulate as well as I should have which I'll fix this summer.

Dave
Milwaukee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here