Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greenhouse single pane windows

Posted by kavik 4B (My Page) on
Sat, May 22, 10 at 10:09

Should I double up my single pane glass windows when I
build my greenhouse,will it affect the amount and quality of sunlight .Just a rookie

Thank you in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greenhouse single pane windows

you dont need to and it doesnt effect the light.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sat, May 22, 10 at 12:42

It won't affect the light, but, in your Zone, you need as much insulating effect as possible. So something beyond single pane is prudent. Are you actually using glass, or would you consider something like twin wall or triple wall plastic? And when you say "double up" the glass, do you mean laying two panes on top of one another without an air space?

o

yes I am using glass which has a very thin and narrow aluminium frame and I would like to somehow be able to use two panes one on each side of 4 by 4 cedar frame. Thanks again

o

Sat, May 22, 10 at 19:14

kavik-
Having an air space, as it sounds like you are going to do, is important. However, just be aware that you will likely get some condensation between the two panes of glass, and over time you could have mold or other microscopic plant growth between the panes and hazing up the view. For that reason, if you can figure out a way to easily de-mount one set of panes for cleaning, it might be a good thing.

o

Thank you kudzu9, I think I will only put one pane as I did not consider the issues you brought up.

o

Sun, May 23, 10 at 14:13

kavik-
I didn't mean to discourage you, but I did want you to be aware of potential problems over the long term with what you were describing. In your Zone -- if you are going to try to use the greenhouse for any purpose during winter -- some improvement over single pane glazing is prudent, especially if you are providing supplementary heat. Some people use a solar pool cover as a relatively inexpensive and temporary way to provide improved insulation in winter. What are your plans for this greenhouse?

o

kudzu9 I plan on trying to get 2 to 3 months extra growing time to grow flowers for outside,vegetables suitable for freezing which grow well in greenhouses. I apreciate your
help since I am new at this.

Thanks Again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here